GNU Operating System?

dominover1

Baseband Member
OK, you're all probably going to laugh at me but I really want to clear up this misconception I'm having.

Is the GNU Operating System a Linux based operating system utilizing the Linux Kernal? OR... Is the GNU Operating system an operating system like Linux?

So, basically what I'm asking.. Is GNU Operating system to Linux like 'Mint' is to Linux... or is there some other relationship.?

Thanks

jhimcavali,,,, that's exactly what I was looking for. I googled this but can't say I cam across this. The problem, probably lies in my search techniques than my understanding...

Well, I looked at GNU and the website but missed this. It explains it well.
I would like to declare that I love this open source thing.. Amazing actually.
That's something I will probably read more than once. I recently bought a book on GNU Make which tells me how to create makefiles. Now it's in place.. Thankfully.

Cheers.
If you decide you want to add anything more to this then please do so.

All I googled was gnu os vs linux. Firt result is the one shown.

Let me google that for you

Also don't take that "Let me google that for you" in the wrong way. I don't mean to be rude. Just showing you what I did. I have people ask me all the time "how'd you find that - I've been looking for hours". Seems I have a gift when understanding what to look for on google.

Back
Top Bottom