Finding Key Code

Hello All,

I have a Windows Vista DVD which I bought a few years ago. The case doesn't show the Product Key Code. Is there anyway I can get the Key Code for this DVD?

Thanks in advance,
Larisa

Hehe well, you could install it and I know of a way to find it, however I'm not sure if it's legal... In which case it cannot be said on the forum. I'll just say this, all keys from windows are actually IN windows and with a special program it goes through the windows files and finds it... :whistling::trash:

If Larisa installs it, it won't have the key code until AFTER it is typed in so your suggestion won't work NikonGuy. The code is completely separate from the DVD. BTW, the "secret" way of retrieving it that you are hinting at is to use a program like Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder which is not illegal. However, a key that has never been typed in cannot be found, period.

To answer Larisa's question, no, if the key code is missing from the package, there is no way to retrieve it. You might be able to buy a Vista key code that would work with that DVD off of Ebay but that can be iffy. Here's an example from Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WINDOWS-VIS...500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf432c43c

Last edited:
Strollin you are incorrect. Before I bought this version of windows, on my old one I lost the key. So I installed it and I forgot the program, ( have nothing to to with jelly I can assure you that ) and I found it, then went to register windows and it worked. So, no, you do not need to type it in first, it IS always there even before you install it, it is part of the programming or whatever they call it.

I've never tried that, but it does make sense with Windows installations previous Windows 8. You can skip the key entry and some disks were sold with associated keys. I know very old versions of Windows had similar forms of key recovery.

EDIT:
Also, I can't see why using a legitimate and legal software installation to recover what is rightfully yours is taboo.

@Larisa, simply Google windows key recovery and you'll find a multitude of programs that will find this information for you. JellyBean is probably the most popular, but disconnect from your internet connection before running it as it scans everything on your network.

Last edited:
Strollin you are incorrect. Before I bought this version of windows, on my old one I lost the key. So I installed it and I forgot the program, ( have nothing to to with jelly I can assure you that ) and I found it, then went to register windows and it worked. So, no, you do not need to type it in first, it IS always there even before you install it, it is part of the programming or whatever they call it.
The only versions of Windows Vista that would have an embedded key code would be pirated versions. A genuine version of Windows Vista has no key code on the disk itself. When you type in the key code and click Activate, the key code is verified against MS servers to ensure it's a valid code that's not already in use and is then stored in the registry. The OS doesn't know anything about the key before it's typed in which means that you could use any valid key to activate an installed OS, the same DVD can be used for many installations as long as you have a separate key for each install.

In older windows versions like Win 98, the key code was verified only on the machine itself which is why the same key could be used multiple times to install Windows on different machines. However, the key was not stored on the disk in any way then either.

Last edited:
The only versions of Windows Vista that would have an embedded key code would be pirated versions. A genuine version of Windows Vista has no key code on the disk itself. When you type in the key code and click Activate, the key code is verified against MS servers to ensure it's a valid code that's not already in use and is then stored in the registry. The OS doesn't know anything about the key before it's typed in which means that you could use any valid key to activate an installed OS, the same DVD can be used for many installations as long as you have a separate key for each install.

In older windows versions like Win 98, the key code was verified only on the machine itself which is why the same key could be used multiple times to install Windows on different machines. However, the key was not stored on the disk in any way then either.

Dead on the money here. The serial key is separate from the disk. If it is an OEM copy that came with a computer the serial sticker will be on the case. If it is a purchased copy (OEM or retail) then the serial sticker will be on a certificate or on the disk's cover.

Lol guys, I did it myself like a month ago. And I bought that win7 copy from amazon. It was win7 32bit that I bought years ago, I had lost the key so I used this method. And it worked. I ended up buying win7 64bit anyway though because 32bit couldn't handle all the ram :facepalm:

You might have done it, but whatever it was wasn't legal. There are no files in windows that stores every single possible key for windows, likely what you used was a cracker as once windows is wiped there is no way to recover the original CD key from within a windows install.

You might have done it, but whatever it was wasn't legal. There are no files in windows that stores every single possible key for windows, likely what you used was a cracker as once windows is wiped there is no way to recover the original CD key from within a windows install.

No... It was 1 key located in windows, and btw I never totally wiped windows, I just re installed it if that makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom