Favorite OS

Re: What is your favorite operating system?

Ive got some weird issue where my mouse wont work until i unplug it then plug it in. I also get the same keyboard problem, i unplug it and plug it in.

Windows XP was my favourite and will always hold a place in my heart. Windows 7 is now my preferred OS though. Its easy to use, and it looks nice at the same time.

I have the same mouse problem as well. It's just seemingly random. At first I thought it was my Razer drivers, but it even happens with other mice (mouses?) as well. It's incredibly frustrating...

I will admit, 7 has brought many useful features, but there isn't a big substantial improvement in my opinion.

I'm going to be the outcast and say Windows Server 2003. I built my own home server with a copy I got for free being enrolled in a Windows Server course I took in college. I must say it is quite impressive even approaching it's 8th birthday. It's very stable, it plays nice with XP drivers, it performs very well with a dual core processor, and it has a small footprint. Of course not everyone can afford a Server OS, so down from that is XP. I agree with the other guys about Windows 7. I don't think it changed much either. A big change is network file sharing and that's about it, and I guess the "splitting of two windows on the screen" too. lol

Oh, I'm also in love with Linux. Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, and Knoppix mainly.

I am a big fan of Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows Vista was okay but it was a little too buggy for my tastes. Windows 95 and 98 were way too buggy for my tastes. I tried the Ubuntu version of Linux once but didn't like it very well.

I am a big fan of Windows XP and Windows 7. Windows Vista was okay but it was a little too buggy for my tastes. Windows 95 and 98 were way too buggy for my tastes. I tried the Ubuntu version of Linux once but didn't like it very well.

This pretty much sums up my feelings :p

Having lived solely in a linux world for a year where when someone came with a windows issue the typical response would be "well there's your problem right there" I find it interesting to be perusing windows dominated forum. So to find out more about this community I thought I'd ask what everyones favorite OS is, and what kind of setup they run.

Mine is Arch Linux, The king of simplicity
My main boot is Arch with fluxbox, SLiM, urxvt, chrome, irssi, and eclipse(for smaller projects I use vim). Oh and Thunar, but I use that like once a month maybe.

PS I think this is the right place as Social said nothing about computers, but if I'm wrong feel free to move this thread

You pegged the right section so no worries there.

I would have to say that may favorite OS is Kubuntu, I dual boot with Windows 7. The only reason I still have Windows 7 is that we live in a Windows/Mac dominated world where that's all you find compatibility with these days. I must give linux it's due though as the community is right on the heels with creative solutions.

Linux is a utility OS to me. Things like ZoneMinder, pfsense (BSD I know), untangle, etc - the OS is great for those things, but for content creation, gaming, overall productivity, I'm a Windows guy. It's not that I haven't tried the other flavors, I just think that Linux has a long way to go before it will win me completely over. The performance aspect isn't good enough anymore - modern copies of Ubuntu have problems on older systems that even Windows Vista doesn't chug along on. So improvements can be made, and will be made, but until then, Linux is just a utility OS for me.

That being said, definitely a Windows 7 faithful guy here.

Back
Top Bottom