Failed Windows 7 Repair Install… Caused By Virus?

pk2ntim

Beta member
A couple weeks ago I downloaded a shady program and opened it. It then proceeded to delete itself and restart the computer. Since then, the computer sometimes works, but frequently, about 5 minutes after turning on, I get a Blue Screen, either IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, Stop: 0x0000001e, or (I'm not sure about this one) BAD_POOL_HEADER. One specifically happened when opening Google chrome (which hasn't worked normally since the virus) but the rest seem random. I did a system restore that had no effect, so I set out to do a repair install. After the installer restarted the computer I got an error. “winpeshl.exe – Application error. The application was unable to start correctly (oxc0000142). Click ok to close the application.” For the record, I have never gotten this error before, and it only occurs when trying to do a repair install. I clicked ok and the computer restarted and took me to a login screen. I have never put a username or password on the computer, but entering nothing wasn't allowed. Anything I put in caused the computer to give an “invalid domain” error. So I restarted and loaded windows 7. It said the installation had failed and that it may be incompatible. I repeated this again and again and the same thing happened. So now the computer works sometimes, but won't repair or open certain applications, and frequently restarts due to Blue Screens. Is anyone aware of what this virus might be? Or what the BSOD errors are caused by? Lastly, why am I having problems carrying out a repair install?

Welcome to CF!

Do you have personal information on the computer that you need to save? You can just re-install Windows 7 and it will move all the contents of the drive into a Windows.old folder so you can at least backup the information. I would do a virus scan though first to make sure that none of your files have become infected. Then I would completely format the drive and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom