For experimentation purpose only!!

Clarence

In Runtime
:rolleyes: I'm currently lecturing a Comptia A+ class and we are currently studying Troubleshooting Windows problems. I want to do a "Missing BMR" and "Operating System Missing" tutorial for windows 7 and missing Boot.ini in XP.

My question is ....in properly working systems how do I go about deleting these system files do I do it directly from the system files because I haven't attempted it or do I install a virus because i want to avoid these virus installations.

Fact is, I don't want the computer to work properly for the purpose of experiment......

Trying to break a computer :) Sounds like fun.

I think the easiest way to kill it in the way that you want is to boot into something like Ubuntu Live, get then delete some necessary windows files from the System32 folder and go from there?

Missing Bootmgr:
Windows Explorer > Change Folder and Search Options (however you wish to get there)... View > Uncheck "Hide Protected System Files"
Go To C: and Delete bootmgr

The fix? Get a copy of a Windows Disc and find the BOOTMGR file, it is all caps and needs to be lower case so it has to be renamed twice as you cannot simply rename a file with different character casing. Rename to "the" then to "bootmgr" and copy back to C:

try out Hirens boot. it's a great boot up packed with lots of great tools.
it also has software that can completely destroy the MBR and also fix most common "missing MBR" issues... maybe not after hirens has destroyed it though.

Back
Top Bottom