Error message...Uri fragment?

mp821w

Beta member
I have a fairly new computer and the only programs I have loaded are office 2010, Norton, and I have a battery backup.
I also installed Belkin N150 wireless usb adapter, but just uninstalled it so I dont think its the problem.

Everytime I turn on the computer I get this message:

A base address cannot contain a Uri fragment. Parameter Name: item

Any ideas on how to get rid or fix it?

Mike

Wow. I love how error messages these days are getting less and less descriptive.

The error that you're getting is related to a request being sent to a server. Typically, you would be safe to assume that this pointing towards a remote server, but that's not always the case. Based on the type of software, a local server can be setup for various purposes. Considering what you have listed as being installed, it could be any number of third party software packages installed, or even a Windows component, that has invalid configuration settings.

Your best starting point is to run msconfig (Windows + R Keys > msconfig > enter) and disable unrecognized Startup programs on the startup tab. Then go to the services tab and check "Hide all microsoft services." You should be safe to uncheck everything, but that doesn't do much for troubleshooting. I would start with the unrecognized services and crap you don't need to start when you boot up. The most common items are things like updater services for add-on software (flash/java/quicktime) but I doubt these would produce the error. Look for oddities or unrecognized stuff. Prior to rebooting, run "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt, followed by a "chkdsk -r". The chkdsk command should prompt a reboot, during which it will run a HDD scan and repair any damages sectors. This is not likely to be an issue, but eliminating possibilities is your goal with these kinds of errors. Reboot and then you may have it solved, you may not. Post back.

Back
Top Bottom