Enable rapid mode: yes or no?

jarlmaster

In Runtime
The title is pretty self explanatory. I have done a lot of research on rapid mode and some say its great. Others say its not necessary. There's really no clear difference between an ssd with it enabled and disabled. Synthetic benches skyrocket but real world performance doesn't seem to be effected. What do you guys think?

My laptop has an 850 evo, core i5-6200, and 6gb of ram in case that helps.

Certainly in all the networks I see now, Rapid STP is enabled...

for the question you're actually asking...
the OS should deal with disk caching properly, the feature shouldn't be needed.
but, if you turn it on, you'll probably see better caching. which only leaves the issue, if data is cached to RAM and not written to disk.

how long before it is written, how stable is your system (where crashes now mean data loss, how stable is your power, - where removing the power from volatile memory means it's gone.

And that data-loss might not just be a file that you're writing now, that could be some critical system component.

Rapid mode is a feature of samsung ssd's that you can turn on in samsung magician. It uses 1gb of system memory for faster caching of data before dumping it to the ssd itself. It increases read and write speeds by quite a bit, though most of it is artificial (i.e. it has most of its effects in synthetic benches). It doesn't really seem to do much. I don't notice a difference. If you are video rendering, apparently it really helps, but I'm not doing any of that. I guess I'll just leave it disabled. I just wanted to post on here in case anyone had any experience with it one way or the other.

Rapid mode is a feature of samsung ssd's that you can turn on in samsung magician. It uses 1gb of system memory for faster caching of data before dumping it to the ssd itself. It increases read and write speeds by quite a bit, though most of it is artificial (i.e. it has most of its effects in synthetic benches). It doesn't really seem to do much. I don't notice a difference. If you are video rendering, apparently it really helps, but I'm not doing any of that. I guess I'll just leave it disabled. I just wanted to post on here in case anyone had any experience with it one way or the other.

if you have a fast enough disk, then RAM cache (aka rapid) makes no sense, it used to make sense in the old days of spinning rust disks, where seek time was limited but SSDs were insanely expensive - any that's why hybrid disks were invented, (and why disks like hyper OS hyper disk were invented)...

now... with Sata 3 speeds on solid state disks, unless you're doing something insanely intensive on the disk, you just won't notice...

on the other hand, unless your system is packed with RAM you probably will notice the resources reserved for that being missing.

Long story short, I can't see a great need for it today, most people want their ram to handle volatile data, (and want as much ram as possible so they don't end up caching volatile data to disk, and their disk to store, - and they don't want stuff that they definitely want saving stored on volatile memory.

it's one of those, sure try it if you want things, but I could genuinely see it going wrong for people in the case of power failures etc.

Alright. Thanks guys! I'll wait for 3D Xpoint to really take off for the next big "revolution" in storage speed. For now sata 3 ssds are plenty fast for what I am doing on my computers.

Back
Top Bottom