Email for the elderly/ almost blind?

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
I know an elderly woman whom I assist with her computer. She's nearly blind and deaf. I have to yell into her hearing aids and she puts her face right up against her 24" monitor to read emails. I have her on Thunderbird with the interface as stripped as possible, and a ton of addons to make text everywhere as big and bold as possible.

She still struggles with it. I'm envisioning something with massive, bold text and buttons and a stupidly simple interface. But I haven't found anything better that fits both the enormous and dead simple criteria. Anyone have an idea?

I do volunteer work for the Royal National Institute for the Blind, RNIB, over here in the UK. I am a memeber of their Technology Squad and we assist blind and partially sighted people to be able to use technology. We have two programs that are generally used with computers. They are Zoom and Dolphin Guide. They stupidly expensive IMO and whilst they do utilise voice recognition to enable sight disabled people to use computers they are not in any way foolproof I'm afraid. You can download trial versions and see if either of those programs are suitable but, as I say, they are stupidly expensive in my opinion. Other than that all you have are the accessability options in Windows I would think.

All these "disability aids" are stupidly expensive in my opinion. Make of that what you will. At least the accessabilty options within Windows are free in as much that they are part of an operating system which does have to be paid for.

Back
Top Bottom