Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Software and Operating Systems
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Eassos System Restore

I installed a back up programme called Eassos System Restore. The instructions read to reboot computer after installing. So after rebooting windows booted to a GRUB prompt. GRUB:\

Was able to fix this using my XP installation disk.

I know I carefully chose the version for my computer.

What would cause this?
__________________

__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

The GRUB rescue thing? Did you even have a Linux OS installed?
__________________

__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

No. I installed the With does version on Eassos.
__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

I can imagine that this software somehow messed with the MBR of your drive and erased the data from it. Maybe a mistake you made, maybe a bug in the program. Hard to tell for sure.

I know that you isntalled the version for Windows because you can't install Linux programs on Windows. My question was if you ever had a Linux-based OS installed and were dual-booting, like Debian or Ubuntu.
__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

I agree. I would have sawca screen about the version being incomparable. No be her had ant]ythung but Windows. I am glad that the installation disk With the two commands worked.
__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMarcilV View Post
I agree. I would have seen a screen about the version being incomparable. No be her had ant]ythung but Windows. I am glad that the installation disk With the two commands worked.


Edited a typing mistake.
__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

Since you seem interested in understanding what happened and why, I would recommend you read up on some related stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

If you are still interested in learning after that, this is the absolute best place to start:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mputer_Science
__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Eassos System Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
Since you seem interested in understanding what happened and why, I would recommend you read up on some related stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

If you are still interested in learning after that, this is the absolute best place to start:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...mputer_Science


Most appreciate. When I saw the GRUB prompt and when I typed in EXIT to see if that would get me into Windows. That did not work. So I looked up the fix and happy that worked.

Do you think this programme that I installed also installed Linux?
__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMarcilV View Post
Most appreciate. When I saw the GRUB prompt and when I typed in EXIT to see if that would get me into Windows. That did not work. So I looked up the fix and happy that worked.

Do you think this programme that I installed also installed Linux?
Definitely not. Linux is not some program you install. Linux (technically Linux is just the kernel, but I understand what you mean) is an operating system, like Windows. Installing a Linux based OS would take a long time, and it would require extra partitions in your drive. What the software did (I think) was replacing Windows' bootloader with GRUB for some reason. Then after that, GRUB didn't find any OS and entered GRUB rescue mode. In this mode you are supposed to tell GRUB where your OSs are installed so it can find them and boot them.

You should read this too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_man View Post
Definitely not. Linux is not some program you install. Linux (technically Linux is just the kernel, but I understand what you mean) is an operating system, like Windows. Installing a Linux based OS would take a long time, and it would require extra partitions in your drive. What the software did (I think) was replacing Windows' bootloader with GRUB for some reason. Then after that, GRUB didn't find any OS and entered GRUB rescue mode. In this mode you are supposed to tell GRUB where your OSs are installed so it can find them and boot them.



You should read this too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux


You mean all that i needed to do is to type the path Windows is located? That would be at the GRUB prompt correct?

It is weird that having a GRUB prompt also looks like some sort of virus worm, being grubs are associated with the living worm.
__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
AMD_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,692
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMarcilV View Post
You mean all that i needed to do is to type the path Windows is located? That would be at the GRUB prompt correct?

It is weird that having a GRUB prompt also looks like some sort of virus worm, being grubs are associated with the living worm.
GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader.

Typing the path to Windows is not as simple as you may think. A series of commands (Linux commands) are involved and you need to know the drive and partition where Windows is located. However, the fixmbr tool (I assumed that's what you used) simply replaces GRUB, so there is no need to type anything. Also, keeping GRUB if you don't have a Linux based OS is useless. This is an example on how to fix the issue:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/4938...untu-partition

Which is a bit different because in this case the user had Ubuntu installed. The second answer actually describes the procedure you probably used, but if you are dual-booting, that would erase such possibility, which is why the first answer would be the correct one if you are.

As you can see, the problem usually starts when dual-booting and the partition that contains Ubuntu (or at least the one that contains the kernel) is deleted, so GRUB doesn't know what to do. Then you have to rescue it.
__________________
"There is nothing more animal-like
than a clear conscience
on the third planet of the Sun."
AMD_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 496
Default Re: Eassos System Restore

You are right. That is what I used.
__________________

__________________
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×