Different OS Base Codes

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi all,

I have been wondering for a long time about how many OS base codes there are.

Now I know there are a lot of OS systems but they seem to either be MS or UNIX based.

Are these the only two base codes ever made?

And is Linux just a variant of UNIX?

Mossiac

There are several non Unix non MS based operating systems, like Haiku or SharpOS.
Also I would say Linux is a Unix clone more or less, a different flavor of Unix just as there are different flavors of Linux.

I guessed that there are different ones but how many?

And thought it was.

Mossiac

Linux is absolutely not a Linux clone, it's entierly different...

It just works very much like it in terms of structure etc, and a lot of tool for unix (like cc) appear on Linux as gcc.

There are lots of os's some more popular than others, and some really obscure ones that rarely anyone uses.

And a few hundred distributions of Linux that are really only a single os, (they use the same Linux kernel)

Shown below is an excerpt from the Linux kernel source README file that explains the relationship between Linux and UNIX. Though there's no author attribution for this file, it's obvious that the definition it carries has the blessing of those who create the Linux kernel, including Linus himself:

WHAT IS LINUX?
Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single Unix Specification compliance.
It has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged Unix, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries, demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory management, and multistack networking including IPv4 and IPv6.

Is Linux Just Another Unix Flavor? | PCWorld

Back
Top Bottom