Deleting an Old Windows Installation

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Hey All,
Not too long ago I had to reinstall Windows 7 due to a bad install. I have a Windows.old (the old installation) folder on my drive and I need to remove it. I have tried to take ownership of the entire folder, every single file in the folder and tried to delete in safe mode but I keep getting "You need permission to perform this action." Does anyone know how I can delete this installation? It's not causing problems and I've already scanned the drive w/Comodo/Malwarebytes so there's not really any reason for me to remove it other than keeping my HD clean. Any help appreciated.

Edit: I can take ownership of a single folder and delete it that way. Cleaned most of the Windows folder out in Windows.old but the folder winsxs contains about 14,842 folders that I would have to go through and take ownership of each individual folder and then delete.

Computer123 suggested Killbox, but for some reason I get the error "Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" when trying to install.

Edit2: Successfully installed Killbox, but Killbox couldn't delete either.

Edit3: Solved, so my computer was set up to only show my account, not the administrator account at logon. After two hours of my system taking ownership of 14,842 folders and their subsequent files, my machine locked up and I had to do a hard boot :( . When I powered back on, low and behold there's now an option to login as the Administrator account, (odd but I figured I'd test it out). Opened the admin account and didn't even have to take ownership to delete the files. All deleted in about 5 minutes of time playing Sniper: Ghost warrior. Now my only issue is removing the Administrator login account from the Welcome Screen. I found a registry tweak for it, but also read that if you disable the Admin account through the registry from showing you lose the ability to "Run As Administrator" option. This can be worked around by holding the shift key, but then you get a "Run As Another User" option and have to type in Administrator so I think I can live with having to click on my InfectionZero account to login. :rolleyes: fml

Back
Top Bottom