A couple of questions regarding the installation of operating systems!!!

The Nightingale

Baseband Member
I've found a couple of guides to reinstalling XP and ME ( I want to do a dual boot).

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/winme/installme/page1.htm

I have a couple of questions which are not in the guide though.

1) At what stage in the ME guide do you create new partitions, the guide does not tell you.

2) I'm wiping my HD/partitions with a program so won't be using the windows disk, will the partitions already be removed before I reinstall ( I think the program I'm using is meant to erase them).

3) How exactly do you create the new partition (which options do you use to do it). Also when you create the new partition will it automatically come up with the same GB size and drive (i.e C: or D: as before or will you need to put this information in manually?

Help with the above questions much appreciated- thanks!

ok...
1) i dont think the me installation has the ability to create new partitions. windows xp does though.
2) if you wiped each single partition then they will still all be there, except empty. you need to delete them if you dont want them
3)if using the xp cd you can choose what size you want the partition to be, not sure about the letter though. there are some programs you use in explorer to create partitions and choose drive letters, etc. partition magic is good but not free

1) You will need to boot from DOs with the CD and type in Fdisk

2)If you format them, the partitions will stay intact.

3)Once you're in with the Hard drives, Type C to crate a partition. It will automatically assign the letter the closest available :
Code:
C: HD, D: CD Drive
Create new partion
C: Drive stays, D: CD Drive goes to E: so D: will be the new partition
You get to choose the size of it though

Out of curiosity...why do you want to use ME at all? 2000 Pro, or just 2000 is 10 times more stable, and plus...ME is worthless.

yea 98 is pretty much the same but uses less ram, etc. i suppose that doesnt matter to you as if your running xp aswell then you must have a good amount of ram.

Boot from the ME disk, you should create the partitons before starting the setup, you should be able to do this with Fdisk (that is on the ME CD).
just create three partitions, (or you could go with two).

Label them.
part1 > c:> ME
part2 > d:> XP
part3 > e:> Data

then install ME onto the C drive.
then use the XP cd to install XP on the Ddrive, (it'll sort out the boot records it'sself and give you an option when you start the computer).

once you've installed both OS's you can happily use both, (the data partition is unimportant, (you don't have to have it). but it makes a nice place to install a program that you want to use in both boots.

as pointed out above, remember that ME can't read NTFS so use FAT32.

Back
Top Bottom