A couple of questions about DEP and reinstalling windows

stefan-west1

Baseband Member
Hi all a few days back I was having trouble with some games I bought. Up until now a few of the games I bought on steam I.e. Vice city, Burnout paradise, required me to add them to the DEP thing. I'm not entirely sure what it is. Then I was having trouble with shift 2 so tried adding that and nothing then I read somewhere about writing something into command prompt which I believe was:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

I now realise this disabled DEP meaning the on or off options are greyed out. So I have tried re enabling it using:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

And have verified it by using

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy

Which came back to with '1' meaning it is set as always on. However DEP is still greyed out meaning I can't play some of my games. How can I go about fixing this?

Also my other question is, I thought of maybe doing a clean install of windows but obviously I don't want to lose my files. I have always had problems with games I've downloaded with steam or another client where friends who have downloaded the exact same haven't. The problem is, my user files and program files are on a different hard drive meaning I can't just use the upgrade function on the installation disc. How can I get around this? My pc has always had loads of little bugs so could probably really do with a clean install but I don't want to have to reinstall all my software and copy over all my files and things. Is it possible?

Any help is much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom