Corrupted XP user profile?

DemonHunter1111

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

There are several accounts on my Windows Xp PC that do not work properly. If i sign on to the admin user account and try to delete the potentially corrupted user profile it my PC freezes and i have to manually end the program. I can log on to the potentially corrupted profiles but i cant type anything. Programs open and close and everything else seems to be fine. Other profiles work just fine.

I really do not want to reinstall Xp. Anyone have any ideas on what is causing this/how to fix it? Thanks.

Well, if you just want to delete the account, try this in the command prompt:
net user /delete name

If you want to recover the settings from the account before you delete it, go to the directory C:\Documents and Settings\Username and copy all the files except for:
Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

Paste those files into the new username's directory, and the problem should be solved.

Microsoft Support for this - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

I hate to say it, but system restore may actually work for this type of issue. If you have it enabled, see if there is a restore point before you started having these problems. As for the PC freezing when you try to delete an account, it sounds like the computer management snap-in may be corrupt. You could also try system file checker, by using the original XP disc, go to start>run>type sfc /scannow

Back
Top Bottom