Computer won't play music

Chaosenemy

Baseband Member
My girlfriend is having some problems with her computer. She can't play any music on it. If she tries opening a song in Itunes, it just won't play. If she tries to play a song in Windows Media Player she gets this error:

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

She's already restarted her computer a few times and she also reinstalled Itunes (before she knew WMP wasn't going to work either). Any suggestions on what she could do to fix this?

BTW, she is on Vista Home Premium if that helps.

You may need to update drivers, but I have never used Vista, so I'm not sure.

I don't think it's the sound drivers. She could play music fine up until just a few days ago. And even now, alerts and other windows sounds play fine, but she just can't play anything in WMP or iTunes. She's also tried playing streaming music from websites and that doesn't work either, nor does playing music straight from an audio CD.

Does she have AIM, and if so, did she update it? I heard somewhere that AIM's new software update blocks most audio in Vista somehow. I'll look for that thread if need be.

Haha, are you serious? I don't remember exactly when she got AIM but it was VERY recently, so that just might be the problem!

That didn't happen to my Vista partition when I updated AIM. Maybe I should get rid of AIM before it does do something to my system.

I would try uninstalling AIM to see if that helps anything. If it does, get Trillian or something.

LMAO.

Things like this is why when I get Vista to dualboot, I am ONLY getting it so I can use all 4 of my GBS and for DX10 gaming.

Everyhting else we remain XP.

Vista is going to be complete shit for atleast another year.

LMAO.

Things like this is why when I get Vista to dualboot, I am ONLY getting it so I can use all 4 of my GBS and for DX10 gaming.

Everyhting else we remain XP.

Vista is going to be complete shit for atleast another year.

Lol stop trying to find excuses to hate on Vista, man. I'd say this is a problem with AIM, not Vista.

And anyways, Vista is in no way complete shit. My experience with Vista has been much better than with XP: less random errors that close programs out of nowhere and also, I don't know why, but most of the games I play just load faster and play better on Vista than they do on XP. My only problem with Vista is the very few compatability issues I have and the fact that it has no IPX, so no Tiberian Sun LANs. :mad:

Anyways, back on topic. I'll tell her to uninstall AIM tomorrow and we'll see how that works out. Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom