Computer Time

arncap

Baseband Member
I am having an issue with the time clock on my computer. The time is always incorrect and causes issues with the wrong time being stamped on e-mails etc. I have tried the basic methods suggested to rectify the problem with no success. When I change the time manually, it will not keep the correct time for very long and becomes a problem soon after.

Any suggestions how to fix this issue permanently? Thanks.

Depends on what basic methods you have tried but this symptom is usually indicative of the bios battery needing changing.

Replace the BIOS battery. Replace the battery, boot into BIOS and update the time. Save and exit, boot into [OperatingSystem] and make sure your time and your time zone are correct.

What is the BIOS battery? This clock problem is on my desktop computer, not a laptop. Does the BIOS battery affect desktops?

It is a Button Battery and is on the Motherboard itself. Its silver and has some numbers on it. Its about the same size of a dime, just a tad bigger. Without that battery, it won't keep time and settings you have in bios for your system. Mine is on the right corner at the bottom, but i don't know where it will be on yours. You can usually find these replacements at your local computer store or Walmart I don't know what you have up in Canada. Take the old battery with you to get the right battery.

CMOS battery ;)

See if at booting stage if the date is wrong, the battery could be the culprit. Try to fix the date in the BIOS. If it doesn't stay fixed, it's the battery. Otherwise your OS could be infected with something.

If the computer won't keep the correct time while powered on then the issue is NOT with the CMOS battery since it only comes into play when the machine is powered off. Not keeping correct time while powered on would most likely be an issue with the motherboard itself as it's internal clock is malfunctioning.

Is your system set to sync it's clock with an external source such as time.windows.com?

Last edited:
Someone where I work had this problem; i.e. date is stuck in the past and cannot be changed. Browsers refused to work saying the date is wrong. I format fixed it.

But when did we see a computer problem with an all around exact fix for everyone lately???

On another note, when you power off your pc and leave the room, is the power shut off too? As in plugged into an outlet that may have a switch on it? Disconnecting the power supply source will give your cmos battery a short life because even though your pc is off, the power from the wall keeps the cmos battery charged, unless the battery is going dead any. You can pick up a 2032 battery almost anywhere for a few bucks

Back
Top Bottom