Computer makes noise when idle, stops when I get back

throstur

Baseband Member
Sometimes when I go for a shower or whatever, I'll come back to my computer making a bunch of noise, like it's doing work. As soon as I do something, it stops. Any idea what it could be?

My first thoughts are that something like an antivirus (or a virus) could be causing it, I have AVG and MSE installed.

No need for AVG, just delete it -- MSE is better. More than likely the sound you hear is your hard drive(s) are being indexed during idle periods.

Sometimes when I go for a shower or whatever, I'll come back to my computer making a bunch of noise, like it's doing work. As soon as I do something, it stops. Any idea what it could be?

My first thoughts are that something like an antivirus (or a virus) could be causing it, I have AVG and MSE installed.

No need for AVG, just delete it -- MSE is better. More than likely the sound you hear is your hard drive(s) are being indexed during idle periods.

As OS-Wiz points out, this is most likely the indexing service. If you don't search for files using explorer, this is a useless feature, should be disabled and can actually decrease lifespan (drastically in SSD's)

Regarding the comment about removing AVG and keeping MSE, I wouldn't back that. It is very good to have only one "On-Access" (or constantly running) anti-virus solution, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have anything else. No AV package sees absolutely everything, so employing multiple "On-Demand" scanners is a wise thing to do.

As OS-Wiz points out, this is most likely the indexing service. If you don't search for files using explorer, this is a useless feature, should be disabled and can actually decrease lifespan (drastically in SSD's)

Regarding the comment about removing AVG and keeping MSE, I wouldn't back that. It is very good to have only one "On-Access" (or constantly running) anti-virus solution, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have anything else. No AV package sees absolutely everything, so employing multiple "On-Demand" scanners is a wise thing to do.

I don't know about avg, but my avast runs hard drive scans while my computer is inactive, quite smart if you ask me.

True though, no need for 2 av's. I can't tell a difference other than the annoying of the update popups between CA AVG and Avast, avast is the only one that doesnt crash my game doing so, so I use it.

That's the difference though between "On Access" and "On Demand"

On Access AV runs in the background, keeping you safe. (e.g. Security Essentials)

On Demand AV is only run when you open it and start a scan. (e.g. MalwareBytes)

There is no AV package that catches everything all the time, so having an On Access running and then an On Demand (or two) is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom