Cloning a partition

oldun

Baseband Member
I have an Acer 5742 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium with a 1 TB hard drive which has two large partitions and two much smaller ones. The two larger partitions are C:\ (200 GB), with OS and programmes and D:\ (750 GB) with all my data files. The two smaller partitions are for system use. I also have a 500 GB external USB hard drive which I wish to use as a backup to drive C:\

I have just had to completely rebuild drive C:\ due to some inexplicable fault on the hard drive.

I now wish to clone partition C:\ to the external USB hard drive so that it is available for restoration purposes. I see no real difficulty with the cloning process as the USB hard drive is larger than I really need.

My question is this. If necessary will I be able to restore the cloned copy of C:\, stored on the USB hard drive, to the smaller partition on the 1 TB internal drive?

I would appreciate your comments on the feasibility of this suggestion and the best software to use.

I have heard of this being do e with no issues but to be on the safe side I would see if you can clone the entire physical drive.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom