Can I have XP and Vista installed?

basically me

Solid State Member
I recently got a new computer that has Vista on it. Vista is trash when it comes to using my audio production programs, but I don't want to completely get rid of it.

Is it possible to install windows XP on a machine that already has Vista installed? Vista uses a ton or RAM just to run itself (about 700mb on my PC). If this is possible, will booting with XP have the same RAM usage issue just because Vista is still installed?

I've heard that this isn't possible from most people, but some say it is. I can't install it on the same harddrive. But if I have an external hard-drive, can I install XP on it, and somehow boot XP from the external?

And if none of this is possible, do you think that installing Vista's SP2 will help with my skipping audio problems? (i've already done all the "Vista tweaks" that i've heard of (which helped, but not enough)) My new PC with Vista hasn't been connected to the internet yet, it was supposed to be a "work" machine, and my old one could use the net. Could I download the Vista SP2 from the microsoft site, put it on a jump-drive, and install it on my new PC?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

XP and vista will dual-boot no problem. Just make sure you install XP first, then Vista. The Vista bootloader will see the XP installation and put it on the list of available boot choices. The XP bootloader will just overwrite the Vista boot information if Vista is installed first.

XP and vista will dual-boot no problem. Just make sure you install XP first, then Vista. The Vista bootloader will see the XP installation and put it on the list of available boot choices. The XP bootloader will just overwrite the Vista boot information if Vista is installed first.

I don't think i can install xp first. i already have vista on my PC and it didn't come with an install disk. if i wipe my hard-drive to put XP on first i don't know how i would get vista back.

where did you buy your computer from?! it should have came with a vista installation disk, and a CD-KEY

I don't think i can install xp first. i already have vista on my PC and it didn't come with an install disk. if i wipe my hard-drive to put XP on first i don't know how i would get vista back.

You might have some luck with a third party boot manager like Boot-US or EasyBCD. Personally I've never tried a XP/Vista dual-boot with Vista installed first, though.

Back
Top Bottom