bootup difficulty w/ new storage drive

Did I just unshuck a HDD?

Been having issues w/ a HHD I formatted it in disk management got it working thought it was normal so I moved files to it then this drive starting flaking out which also effected the HDD where the files originated from.

It was suggested that I don't connect this drive to another SATA port (sys. Stopped booting w/ it connected) but connecting to USB was acceptable.

I understand that removing a HDD from an enclosure and installing as a internal drive is referred to as shucking and should be avoided.

I've managed to interface this drive w/ an old western digital My Book PCB so did I just unshuck a drive basically the reverse of shucking?

Attachments

• disc management.jpg
    disc management.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 7
There's no problem if the driver letter gets overtaken by another drive as long as it is not a system drive. So the H letter there is no problem for you.

Since the drive had files added to it; i.e. it was initialized once in the first place, the case now is questionable. Windows should not ask for initialization again. And for the records, initialize is not format. Two different things.

However, perhaps the series of episodes you had did something to the drive and made it un-intilazied or something? If so, that's new to me. In worst case scenario, you can just try to initialize it, again now. Because if not, the files copied to it are lost anyway. But to be honest, from the looks of it, the files seem to be lost :(

Storage devices don't typically need drivers to run if internal. If it's for the 2TB support, worst case I've been thru was needing drivers/BIOS update for the mobo to support more than 2TB drive, not drivers for the drive itself. That was for internal drives.

Using a drive from an external storage build internally in a desktop; e.g. dismantling that of an external My Book storage for that, is not a problem in itself. I did that once. The problem is the format/structure of the drives when they were inside the external enclosure like being set to a RAID settings that requires several drives working in tandem if the enclosure had two drives inside. Once that's taken care of, it's safe to do it. In my case the drive showed as data driver with the same data it had when it was in the external case. So I guess it can be done if one knows what they are doing.

Try one thing; there are apps out there that recover files and partitions. I think EaseUS has one. I did it once on a drive that couldn't be read and managed to recover some files, albeit some of them were corrupt. Give it a try and I hope you have sometime before the RMA. Found it: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizardpro/index.htm try the free tial version. It says that inaccessible drives are supported.

Good luck!

If I do the following steps and choose to not format will the Simple Volume Wizard erase the files?
Are there 2 different Disk Management 1 w/ Administrative privileges 2nd
None Administrative privileges?

Disk Management.
3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then select New Simple Volume.
4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, select Next.
5. Enter the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then select Next.
6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then select Next.
7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
8. If you don't want to format the volume right now, select Do not format this volume, and then select Next.
* To format the volume with the default settings, select Next.
1. Review your choices, and then select Finish.

If I do the following steps and choose to not format will the Simple Volume Wizard erase the files?
Are there 2 different Disk Management 1 w/ Administrative privileges 2nd
None Administrative privileges?

Disk Management.
3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then select New Simple Volume.
4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, select Next.
5. Enter the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then select Next.
6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then select Next.
7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
8. If you don't want to format the volume right now, select Do not format this volume, and then select Next.
* To format the volume with the default settings, select Next.
1. Review your choices, and then select Finish.

I'm afraid I dunno. AFAIK space cannot be unallocated unless there is no data in it. The best bet I can make now is to try to recover the files with a recovery tool.

Last edited:
In recovery Windows is contradicting itself under drive it see's the new volume
as it doe's in disc management

under status the drive cannot be found I'm assuming this term means rooten drive maybe this is why I can't select the new volume in recovery
Attach screen shot of restore.

even w/ the my book USB interface the drive disappears from device manager then I repower it and it reappears.

this must be why recovery & disc management recognizes the hardware but not the logical files.
Thanks

Attachments

• restor bad drive.jpg
    restor bad drive.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm afraid Windows does not provide file recovery tools.

DOS used to have one called Undelete and you had to remember some letter that the tools asks you for. Many of those recovered files turned out corrupt for me anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom