Bizarre Audio Issue!

Calman

Solid State Member
Hi folks,

As I am not sure at this venture, whether my issue is software/hardware, I opted to post in this section.

Basically, it's an audio issue with my wife's laptop, where the audio randomly drops around 2-4 minutes of playback.

Now, after extensive "check this/check that" ... "deactive/re-active" etc. and fully re-installing the Realtek Audio Manager/Drivers, I am no further forward.

Here is what I do know, the system appears to think that nothing is wrong, everything at Windows 10 "user level" reports that all is operating normal, no yellow question marks, no greyed out sound settings etc. etc.

Oh yes, and when the sound output drops, plugging in headphones still delivers sound. Only the laptop speakers lose sound, until rebooted.

If anyone had experienced a similar scenario ... I would love to hear from you.

All the best,
Cal :)

Hmm... I had a similar problem where the audio dies when the power disconnecting while playing audio (had a dodgy power extension then). I found out later that it is because the video automatically changes from the dedicated to the integrated chips to save power. Seems like the audio changes source too since the dedicated video chip has an audio device of its own because it is a modern PCIE device? Not sure, but as I fixed the power connection problem, things came back to normal. I think changing those should be in a neutral time, not while working.

If it is similar for you and the laptop has a performance dedicated video chip (NVIDIA or AMD) and an integrated low-power one (on the CPU), try fixing it to one of them in the bios or the graphics properties/options.

But before that, and in case you haven't yet while re-installing them, try updating the audio and the video devices to the latest first from the manufacturers. Have you upgraded the OS, by chance?

Best of luck :)

Hi and thanks for the reply, really appreciate it!

Went to Realtek and made sure that the Laptop was running the latest drivers (or replaced in case of a faulty existing driver) .. no change.

Upgraded to Windows 10 early in the year, so not sure if coincidence or not, but think the problem only occurred in last 2 months or so?

One thing I've discovered (but still checking further) ... the sounds "appears" to stay on much longer, when running on battery from start-up, but with A/C mains power, the sound can drop on playback anything from 2-4 minutes on average. Also, sometimes when the sound is working within this range, clicking on the sound control on the taskbar kills the sound output.

So, that's the story so far,
All the best,

I presume you made sure the drivers are the right 32-bit or 64-bit specifically for Windows 10?

You know, I had problems with audio cutting out, and sometimes hanging the computer, while playing high quality audio. A format fixed it :p

But formatting is always the last resort.

If using battery vs. direct power connection (dunno what to call those, English is not my mother tongue) makes a difference, try changing the power options that runs off the power connection (not the battery directly) to the highest performance scheme, turning off all power saving features, and try like that. Who knows, maybe the audio is has an issue with power, judging from your last experience/finding.

Hi again Smart_Guy!

Yes, re-installed the proper 64-bit Realtek Drivers, so all good on that front.

I will look further into your suggestion to run at highest "non-power-saving" mode/options and see if that throws up any progress to the problem, which as you say, may have some indication towards the A/C Mains Power, which my wife typically runs from, in preference to "battery only" when she is away from home.

Edit: Forgot to say, my wife has never had the laptop freeze or encounter any other stability issues in relation to this fault, purely the sound drop at random 2-4 minute playback intervals, forcing a re-boot to re-gain sound for another short time.

All the best for now,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom