Best Online Backup for Small Business?

SC8254

Beta member
I have a small business and am trying to find a good online backup service specifically for business. I've tried Mozy but haven't been happy with it as of late and I'm skeptical about Carbonite after researching and reading the reviews. I have employees with computer skills but no dedicated IT staffing. Any solid recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I've always heard good things about carbonite from some very non-technical people (I repair their computers), but I have never used it myself.

How much data are you trying to back up and how redundant does it have to be? What is your budget? You could just buy a drobo and have a nice raid 5. If you don't have much data to back up this would be a nice low cost solution with redundancy in mind. It's not very rack mountable friendly however, but it can be put on one.

RAID 5 is overhyped for what it does. You've got much better fault tolerance (not to mention speed) in a RAID 10 setup, but that's off topic.

We use Jungledisk at work, and for the amount we back up (~400GB) we only pay about $90 a month. I also installed it at my local auto shop (which I do PC repair work for as well) and they haven't gone over their basic 5GB plan with Jungledisk yet, and only pay the minimum ($5 or so at most). That's the other nice thing about the basic Jungledisk program, if you opt in with their Rackspace storage, there's no xfer fees, just disk space usage fees (whereas Amazon S3 through Jungledisk charges for bandwidth usage and disk space usage)

The recovery app is easy to use, and I like that you can access your files from anywhere if you have the app installed.

I also use it at home, and I pay about $8 a month right now.

RAID 5 is overhyped for what it does. You've got much better fault tolerance (not to mention speed) in a RAID 10 setup, but that's off topic.

Don't know if it can do 1 or 0, but i know it can do 5. That, and not everything can do 10. I have a gateway server that can do 1 0 and 5 but can not do 10 at all. I also have another server that can do 0 but not 1. The gateway uses adaptec (LOVE that over teh lsi one) the other one uses lsi... I HATE lsi raid, unless they've got better.

Raid is very "ehh" and with simplicity in mind to just have to work, a drobo has been used by people in the past. Though it was only a shot in the dark at the time. I don't know if he even wants to do that type of backup, but i figured i'd mention it anyhow since i heard great things about it.

I think that considering in a drobo you have a limited amount of disks, and that it's only used for backup data that raid 5 would be fine...

What exactly are your back up requirements?

Do you need point in time restore, or just a backup of the latest copy? What sort of sized amount of data do you need backed up, how quickly do you need to restore? Do you need offsite backup? Does this have to be online backup or would you consider tape backup? You say that your employees are computer savvy, Are you expecting your employees to restore their own data, are you backing up confidential data, how will you restrict access to what you're backing up?

Features one should look for when choosing an online backup service for small PCs

Continuous data protection - Backup of computer data by automatically saving a copy of every change made to that data, essentially capturing every version of the data that the user saves

SSL Security - that provide communication security over the Internet

Mobile Apps - Should have the option to retrieve data from smart phones

Back
Top Bottom