Backup Software Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, if any of you have read through my new build thread or saw any posts about it in RCC, you'll know that I'm converting over to a design business. This means that redundancy will be key for this. In addition to RAID1'ing my data drives (i.e. where all completed files will go when work on the SSD is done--or partially completed depending on the time span), I would like to setup some sort of software to do one-click backups onto my external hard drive. My RAID1 setup is 2 x 1TB (so just 1TB), and my external is 750GB (which is large enough as my 1TB data setup is never full...and it will be even less full since my OS will no longer be on there).

Anyways, what I'd like to do is find software that will ONLY backup what files have been changed/altered, added or deleted from my system drive to the external with just a few clicks (i.e. no thinking on my part). I know this exists, and I'm sure I could find some with a quick Google search, but I'm coming here to see if anyone has experience with any programs in particular. I do not care if it's free or paid software (as long as it's not extreme), I'm just looking for something that works every time once I set it up.

Thanks guys!

This looks promising:

Backup Maker: Here is a personal backup software that is easy to understand and use, while still offering a very good set of features. It has a slick modern interface that makes it easy on the eyes, as well as to navigate. It has setup wizard that takes you step by step through the job creation process, with the choice to show or hide advanced options. Features include filters to exclude or include certain file types, or files with a maximum file size. It has a very easy to use scheduler with fine grain control over execution times, ans well as the choice to execute backup jobs at start up, shutdown, or upon insertion of a USB volume. If a job time is missed it can automatically be rescheduled. It offers the ability to run before and after job tasks, including mounting/un-mounting a network drive, powering down the computer, or rebooting, sending an email report, printing a hard copy of the backup log, or starting a subsequent backup job. Backup Maker did not balk on encountering long file names or foreign/unicode characters. Once backups are made each file is verified with a hash check. (CRC32)

It supports a variety of backup methods including incremental and differential zip archives which they call “partial backups” and they are presented in clear understandable terminology. Each type of backup can be fine tuned with certain file property parameters, including archive “bit” set and reset. (bit is a type of attribute flag that indicates a file has changed since it was last backed up) Archives can be encrypted if you need extra security. Archives can be automatically named by date stamp and split to any desired size. It supports to backing up to any local, network, or online storage that supports ftp,(SSL included) and it has the built in support for burning files directly to CD/DVD.

Backup maker supports restoring files to original or a new location. You can restore a whole backup, or just a single file. A nice search feature is included for finding a desired file in the zip archive.

The my only complaints would be that the wizard does not include options for auto selection of commonly backup files and folders, and it does not support backing up open/locked files. Also when I tried to restore a password protected archive, the password entry dialog popped up under the restore window, and for a while I thought the program had crashed or frozen. I had to minimize the main programs windows to enter the password. Another minor inconvenience is a popup nag screen that informs the user that the free version is for personal use only, and that it will be removed if you register it for commercial use. Other than that there is no difference between the free and commercial versions.

In testing the program on Win 7, I found all features to work as advertised. It is easy enough for a beginner to use, but robust enough for a pro. It has a decent help file in pdf form that covers each aspect of the backup process if you encounter any problems. I think Backup Maker is a great all around file backup program, and give it my top recommendation.

Before choosing an online backup solution, derive your backup plan by answering these questions.

• Data Backup for Personal or business use?
  • How much online backup storage is required?
  • How many PCs do you need to backup?
  • Does the backup solution provide military-grade data security?

In my office we are using veritas backup system. We have very large environment, more than 12k Server in 30 different datacenters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom