Arena Simulation Bakery

dreamgirl

Beta member
Hello. I need help in creating a bakery simulation after a certain model. Can you please help me? I study electronics and I have no idea about modelling. Thanks

Attachments

• modell_ARENA_artikel_7.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 6
This isn't a crowdsource for completing your programming projects. Why not go use one of the available let ones that do that?

Have you ever studied decision maths?

to make a successful model in any software you'd need how to do that on paper first.

Take this as a really simple example. you want to erect a large rigid frame tent, like a patio gazebo,
the test has four poles in each corner, these are connected by bars.
to set this up you have the attach the poles of the point section, then the bars that run parallel to the ground. finally you attach the legs, (but leave them only have built) then you need to unpack the canvas, stretch that over the top. and then finish the legs lifting the tent pit into the air. then you attach pegs to hold it down.

Visualize this in your mind.

Imagine that each task takes 10 minutes.

with a team of 1, you have this
1, Attach roof pole 1 to point, (10)
2, attach roof pole 2 to point, (20)
3, attach roof pole 3 to point, (30)
4, attach roof pole 4 to point, (40)
5, Attach parallel pole 1 between previous bars (50)
6, Attach parallel pole 1 between previous bars (60)
7, Attach parallel pole 1 between previous bars (70)
8, Attach parallel pole 1 between previous bars (80)
9, Attach leg 1 (90)
10, attach leg 2 (100)
11, attach leg 3 (110)
12, attach leg 4 (120)
13, unpack canvas (130)
14, stretch canvas over frame (140)
15, complete leg 1 (150)
16, complete leg 2 (160)
17, complete leg 3 (170)
18, complete leg 4 (180)

each tasks can only be done by one person, if two people try to do it, they just get in each others way.

to model this you start with a single circle marked start, then you track the time to get to the completion of the step marked 1, then you connect that to a circle marked 2. you mark times on connecting lines) (the circles has step / total time on that path.

(start)-10-(1/10)-10-(2/20)-10-(3/30)- ... -10-- (18/180)-(end) (total time 180)

(obviously I skipped a few steps for brevity)

now consider if you have a team of 2, lot of those steps could be faster if you had 2 people.

so now you have start and you break out to two lines
____/-10-(1/10)-10-(3/20)- ... (11/60)--
(start)--10-(2/10)-10-(4/20)- ... (12/60)-

this works great until you get to the canvas unraveling stage,
now only one person can do that, and only one can pull the canvas over the frame.

____/-10-(1/10)-10-(3/20)-... (11/60)-10-(13/70)-10-(14/80)-10-(16/90)-
(start)-10-(2/10)-10-(4/20)- ... (12/60)-10-(16/70)-

So person 2 has to sit around and do nothing.

that means that for 20 minutes, you're paying a guy to do nothing. this is the bottle neck.

so you may think that with 2 people the 180 minutes should be reduced to 90. but actually it's reduced to 100 minutes. one guy does 100 minutes work the other only 80 minutes work.

what you need to be able to do is move steps around so that both people are busy the whole time, and therefore bottle necks are reduced.

Obviously the bakery task is much more complex, there are different tasks that happen at different times, you make mix two batches concurrently, but with only one oven you may not be able to bake concurrently.

You may find that a bakery making both bread and cakes you get in for the morning and mix bread dough, then whilst that is proving, you mix cake batter. you may cook bread whilst the oven is warming to the temperature to cook cakes.

etc.

what you are looking for is an idea of what tasks need to be done.
how long they take,
how many people can do them.
how many can be done in parallel (e.g you can't cook bread, cakes pies and biscuits in the same oven, there isn't enough space, and they require different temperatures.)

are some paths longer than others, and does that wait other paths to wait for critical tasks to be done, (i.e the second gut can't start putting the legs fully on until the canvas is on.)

This sounds really silly, but most people who are making a project plan do this in their mind!

If you have never done this before then start with a simple task (like putting up a tent)
(or as I did for sixth form college course work, the optimum time taken for two people to unload a drum kit from a car and setup each part.)

start with something simple, that you know loads about. where you're sure you know, every step and how long it takes...

your goal, plan the task to make the most efficient use of either persons time. try to make sure no one person is waiting on any other person.
(a drum kit setup was not actually an easy tasks because you have to consider a person may bring a bag of cymbals, that stretches into three cymbal mounting tasks, a bass drum must be in place before bass drum mounted toms may be mounted etc.)

When you know how to do this as a manual thing, then using software to try to track this for you should be easier as you'll understand what the software is doing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom