64x and 32x

Clarence

In Runtime
I had a discussion with a fellow IT Analyst who is much more experience than me in the technical field and we work for the same organisations-states apart. He told me why do i not try installing windows 7 OS 64 bits on all the pcs in the building. To my reply i told him this is impossible since i tried installing a 64 on a 32 bit system. - with error message occurring. he said 64 bits can process more RAM over 4 GB. he said they did it on all their machines in his office.

My question is this - whether 64 or 32 bit is this decided by the mobo?:whistling: and can a 64 bits OS run on a 32 bit system?

Last edited:
If the system does not support 64 bit then it's probably time to be looking at an upgrade of the hardware...

So, if the hardware does not support 64 bit (mobo and chip really), then you can't install it.

Yeh it is mostly down to the cpu and motherboard to determine whenever it's 64 bit or 32 bit, it is true that 32 bit can only support up to 3.5 GB of ram and no 32 bit locked computers cannot support a 64bit OS you will need 32bit operating system to run on a 32 bit system on the other hand though a 64 bit machine can run both 32 bit and 64 bit, hope this answers all your questions, if you have more questions please feel free to ask :)

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

You can use this little utility to test whether a cpu is 64-bit capable: https://www.grc.com/securable.htm

64-bit Windows can run 32 & 64 bit software, 32-bit Windows can run 16 & 32 bit software. If your organization uses any 16-bit software, you may not want to upgrade. The main reason to go to 64-bit is to be able to access more than 3.5GB of RAM, if your users don't need more RAM then there is no compelling reason to do the upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom