X-Box 360 V2!!!! FTW?

I was on Straferight.com and found this on the news section

Holy crap this is some unexpected and sweet news! Microsoft is about to drop a brand new souped up version of the XBox360 on us according to Engadget:

Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.)

The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon."

Sweet! I'm so happy to hear about the massive new hard drive. It will surely be helpful to those that plan on downloading all kinds of HD movies and other video content from the new service available via the Xbox Live Marketplace.

Ohhhhh I want a 1080p capable TV sooooo bad nowwww!

Are you serious? another 360? Wow!!!! Stupid microsoft lol

Microsoft's Second Coming of the Xbox 360 Revealed

3467_large_zephyr.jpg

Image courtesy EngadgetMicrosoft's "Zephyr" leaked to the press complete with HDMI, 120GB hard drive and 65nm processor

With Sony's PlayStation 3 knocking on the Xbox 360's door, it was only a matter of time before Microsoft made the move to make its year-old console even more competitive. DailyTech already reported that Microsoft has been able to successfully pare down its costs associated with producing the Xbox 360, so now is a more opportune time than ever to release an update.

According to Engadget, the Xbox 360 v2 (codenamed Zephyr) should result in a cooler console as the the 90nm IBM Xenon PowerPC processor was swapped out in favor of a 65nm revision. This has not been officially announced yet.

There is also a single HDMI port for full 1080p support -- no firmware trickery needed. Also on the way is a 120GB hard drive which would double the capacity of Sony's top-ranging PS3. There's no word yet if Microsoft has seen fit to quiet the banshee-like DVD drive, but we can only hope that the answer is yes.

Engadget's "inside man" tells them that the new console will be available soon. We'll keep our ears and eyes open during Bill Gates' keynote on Sunday at CES to see if he has anything to say about the console.

dang, glad I didn't get an xbox 360 :) but for sure there will be some mad people that just got them...

Trivium Nate said:
Are you serious? another 360? Wow!!!! Stupid microsoft lol

It's not 'another' Xbox 360. It's essentially the Xbox 360 with a cooler 65nm core, 120GB hard drive and a dedicated HDMI 1.3 port.

If Microsoft plays their cards right, this should take the place of the current Premium for $399, the Premium will replace the Core at $299 and the Core will be sold at an even cheaper price until all supplies of the Core System are sold out and it's discontinued.

As for people being pissed off, it's their own damn fault. That's why I always wait at least a year or so before I purchase any console. You think this is radical? Sony is ready to release a third version of the PS3. The price tag? About $2500.

X-Bit Labs said:
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s PlayStation 3 is already a multimedia powerhouse with advanced processing capabilities as well as support of one of the next-generation digital video disc format. However, Sony is mulling to create a version of the console that would appeal more to those wishing to use the PlayStation 3 not as a gaming machine on the first place, but as a primary video player.

The “media-centric” PlayStation 3 will feature capabilities of consumer electronics devices and will be more focused on digital media content playback, rather than on gaming. Based on claims reportedly made by executives of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., PC Watch web-site reports that the PlayStation 3 “media-centric”-edition will feature anti-vibration mechanism on the Blu-ray disc drive, 512MB XDR memory, more advanced power supply unit and two HDMI connectors to divide audio and video data.

The third version of the PlayStation 3 will also have a new design that matches other consumer electronics products and is unlikely to be totally similar to the currently sold PlayStation 3 gaming machines. Still, all the games for the PlayStation 3 should play absolutely well on the device.

According to comments reported to had been made by executives of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., the PlayStation 3 game machine is unlikely to be sold by SCEI, but more probably to be supplied by Sony itself under Sony brand.

Given that in the consumer electronics industry manufacturers do not subsidize hardware in hope to compensate their losses by selling many games, it is highly likely that the console, which currently costs $840 to manufacture, will be sold at a premium price. The Japanese web-site noted an executive at SCEI as saying that the price range could be from ¥200 to ¥300 thousand ($1680 to $2520).

Sony PlayStation 3 console is based on the Cell processor developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, the RSX graphics chip by Nvidia Corp. and will be equipped with Blu-ray optical disk drive. There are two versions of the PlayStation console available today: one is equipped with 20GB hard disk drive and priced at $499, another features 60GB hard drive, card reader and some other improvements and is offered for $599.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20061229091844.html

Sony must be smoking some seriously powerful shit...the PS3's initial fanboy sellout passed and now they're hardly even selling. Hell, even eBayers are LOSING money (you might as well sell a Wii instead). What the hell makes you think that releasing a $2500 version of your already over-hyped and over-priced console will help you win the 'console war'?! Someone ought to smack everyone at SCEI.

Meh... just as well I held off on the 360.

I'm seriously thinking getting a Wii anyways.

TRDCorolla said:
Microsoft's Second Coming of the Xbox 360 Revealed

3467_large_zephyr.jpg

Image courtesy EngadgetMicrosoft's "Zephyr" leaked to the press complete with HDMI, 120GB hard drive and 65nm processor

I dont think most people will care about a 65nm processor as they wont know what it means but the hdmi and 120GB hard drive well im glad i havent just bought a 360 , this is just ms trying to make more money i think they left out theese things on purpose to make more money in the future and alvino i can believe sony are already working on a revised ps3 , i read somewhere they have had been working on ps3 since before ps2 was released but dont know how true this is

sony did exactly the same with ps2 when they released a slimline version and included network adaptor already in it

Back
Top Bottom