Would you have the guts to go riding around in a computer car?

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
For me the answer is no.

Granted they could come in handy for stormy weather or red light cameras. Let me add on I enjoy driving and I do question the reliability of these cars. What's your take on this?

Are we talking about cars like the EN-V that are fully automated? Eventually you will have to get used to riding around in such cars because they will be around soon enough. Google has a few out on the roads already with very few or no accidents.

If you are talking about things like the Cadillac XTS with technologies to warn of approaching objects, lane departure and those sorts of things, I have driven one and it works very well. Some cars have automatic braking if you are approaching an object too fast also and they tend to work pretty well.

Except for Volvo, the autobraking is still in research at Volvo...
Insane Volvo brake test epic fail - YouTube

Safety has come a long way in cars too. I've been in the room for a 2014 Cadillac crash test, and it was awesome too see.
Computer systems have come a long way in cars and they will continue to improve.

Driving a CTS-V around, traction control comes in handy a lot. Otherwise your rear tires would only last a few hundred miles. Such a powerful car.

For me the answer is NO, not just for the reason I do not trust technology but I would find it will be boring.....
To me enjoy driving I would have to be in control.

Nope not for me.

If you think about the number of computer programs that have been released with quite substantially large bugs, Apples new IOS 6 Maps, Apples Alarm Clock Bug, Microsofts Windows Vista in general ;) and you think what kind of impact having any kind of bug let alone a substantial one would cause in a self driving car . . . . . .

No, not for me, i think there may be certain things that could be handy like the as mentioned self braking car, but it shouldnt be relied upon, the driver should always be told to brake for himself and if the software works and does manage to brake before the driver it is only doing good!

SSC, I think it's going to start out like that where the computer is an aid, but eventually it's going to change. It's the only viable solution to congestion. No need for red lights if everything is timed perfectly. It's a ways away, but it's coming... Toyota and GM are investing heavily into the concept, and the smaller companies will follow.

I agree with MMM, I would get bored. I love driving. Maybe that's why I own 4 vehicles, none are slow either.

I do believe the good weather will continue.

:confused:

I can't even ride in a car as a passanger when a person is driving. Definately not going to let a computer drive me around...though it may be safer than some drivers I've been in a car with.

I would, but I would be extremely hesitant about going on fast roads... like motorways and stuff - I can't jump out of a car going at 60-70mph.

...and live... well... you know what I mean.

How computerised are we talking?

why wouldn't I trust a computer car.

There is already absolutely no physical connect between my right foot that the engine.

Back
Top Bottom