Windows Tools you use!!

Hi! There is a big difference in a system repair CD and a system restore CD . I prefer the USB for both, but a CD works for the system repair CD.
Here's a link that explains this really well. IMHO you need to have both of these windows tools! Going to try to add link that explains this much better than I ever could.
Andy Rathbone » What's the difference between a System Recovery disc and Windows 7's System Repair disc?

When in trouble, always try your System Repair disc first, as it may solve your problem. Only use the System Recovery Discs as a last resort, as they wipe out everything you've created since buying your PC.

Last edited:
If you have a Windows 7 installation disc it should cover most options if I'm honest, a lot of manufacturers incorporate their recovery solution into the repair menu anyway.

Hey joe! In most cases that is very true, but in my case I need the system repair CD to get to the recovery mode and I don't have the installation disc. I do have the 5 restore DVD's that I created and also a USB I created with the system restore media. You can also get into the recovery mode with safe mode on most PC's, but not on mine. My thoughts are burn a system repair CD for a few cents. You might just use it some day!

Instead of MS Defrag app, I have used Smart Defrag from IOBit for more years than I can remember.

You have to watch out for extra crudware they want to install as well. Just be careful and read and untick what extras you are installing when your clicking on OK. :eek:

I use that and it does an alright job..
Thanks for your reply. I haven't used it that much ,but any thing that helps stop those dang PUP's is a good program. One still needs to be careful when down loading freeware. The internet is getting to be a cesspool. All about dollars. I have quit using CNET because there are really bad about PUP's. I try to use the author of the software when I can. I trust Major Geeks for freeware down loads.

Hey joe! In most cases that is very true, but in my case I need the system repair CD to get to the recovery mode and I don't have the installation disc. I do have the 5 restore DVD's that I created and also a USB I created with the system restore media. You can also get into the recovery mode with safe mode on most PC's, but not on mine. My thoughts are burn a system repair CD for a few cents. You might just use it some day!

The Windows 7 .iso file is a free download which was made available my Microsoft (not too sure about Windows 8, I would guess the same). It's the licence that you're paying for when you actually buy the operating system. You can burn yourself a Windows 7 installation disc (or make a USB) just for the price of the storage media itself. In fact, Windows have even released a tool that creates a bootable Windows 7 USB stick for you.

Hi Joe! Thanks for your reply. I tried to burn a ISO W7. I have a Toshiba lap top.
I have the Key. For some reason it wouldn't except my Key. I bought my PC at Staples.
I might give it another try some day. I always have a clean image of my OS on a external drive, so I really don't need the disc. I have a question for you. I created a USB with the back to factory media on it. I can boot to it. I'm wondering if I can use that to do a repair install. That way I wouldn't get all the trash that Toshiba puts on your PC. I'll probably just wait for my free W10 up grade. Good information about the ISO file.
Here's the link I tried. It didn't work!!
Microsoft Software Recovery

You don't need the key for the installation disc, you can use the system tools etc for free. You only need the key if you're actually installing the operating system from the disc and intend on using it.

Back
Top Bottom