What is your favourite word?

Jafo...just another frustrated observer.
Pebcak...problem exists between chair and keyboard.
Hamsa...it's the hamsa hand from middle eastern religion. A symbol denoting luck. ( and other blessings) I worked with a lot of Israelis in the past and saw a picture someone put on a press of an outline of their open hand and asked about it. I was told about the hamsa hand.

Too bad we didn't inherit the Hamsa from our religious ancestors.

I need luck these days more than any other.

As for the other two words... I swear, they still sound made up to me :p

literally.

That word is literally one of the most misused words of our time. I literally die every time I hear someone say it in a sentence.

Haha, your right about that...That word just popped into my mind,

I used to say that a lot back in the days. :lol:

literally.

That word is literally one of the most misused words of our time. I literally die every time I hear someone say it in a sentence.

Literally now literally means figuratively, at least according to Mirriam-Webster.

1. 1 : in a literal sense or manner: such asa : in a way that uses the ordinary or primary meaning of a term or expression He took the remark literally. a word that can be used both literally and figurativelyb —used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description The party was attended by literally hundreds of people.c : with exact equivalence : with the meaning of each individual word given exactly The term “Mardi Gras” literally means “Fat Tuesday” in French.d : in a completely accurate way a story that is basically true even if not literally true
  2. 2 : in effect : virtually —used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Personally, the misuse which most frequently annoys me is the past tense of the verb lead. The correct spelling is led, yet it has become nearly ubiquitous to spell it with an a. I actually make a mental notice every time someone uses it correctly. In my experience, this almost exclusively in professionally-edited works.

Back
Top Bottom