What would be the gain with an Internet 2?

wonderboy1953

In Runtime
An Internet 2 is a consortium led by universities working in partnership with industry and government to develop and deploy advanced network applications and technologies.

Since it appears that the internet serves us so well already, then why the need for another internet?

An internet reserved for universities, industries, and the government would allow for better exchange of technical and sensible information without the disturbances of trolls. I would love that. Research could be done much more effectively.

Whatever the gain, I strongly suspect it's not going to ever see fruition on a grand scale. It's been going since 1996 and still doesn't look like it's really gone anywhere (sure it's got some claims, but after 10 years I'd expect a lot more.)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems most of what it claims to offer either exists at the moment but didn't really in 1996 (VPNs for example) or looks to address problems that don't really seem to exist on the level they're stating. I can see the benefits as Joga said of having a purely academic based network, but again we've kind of got this in the sense that anything on a .ac or .ac.xx domain can be considered academic and broadly troll-free.

Back
Top Bottom