What Should I do?

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So Right now I attend CCD (Community College Of Denver), and right now I'm taking Intro to Programming (Java). The class is alright, and I kinda like programming. So I am thinking of becoming a programmer in life. I am thinking of transferring to UCD (University of Colorado of Denver) after this semester. I dont know if they have an programming degree or whats its called (If theres a proper name, tell me so I can change my major). But I think the tuition would cost a lot more than CCD, and I dont have any way to pay but to use CoF (Colorado Funding), and Financial Aid (about 50% of getting).
How easy is to to get an programming job?
Whats the better route?
Going to school for 4 years on the major and graduate.
or
Quit school and learn from books then get certified.
or
Change my major, and still get books and learn programming.

Please feel free to bring any ideas on what i should do.
Is going for school till graduation and becoming a programmer worth it?

Education is ALWAYS worth it.

Espeically in todays economy, people are losing jobs all across the US. Having an education gives you something to fall back on.

I am currently attending a community college as well, I am working for a degree in Computer Science, which gives you a broad range of fields, including programming(again, many different fields). This is what I would change your mjaor too. Not only because if you decide you dont like programming, you can still go into a different field.

Books are always a good idea. Being you are in school, you will buy books either way, and learn the same thing. But, being able to show an employer that you have a degree in a certain field, will show two things. 1. You are a harder worker. 2. You know what your doing.

I would stay at the community college as long as possible, its alot cheaper, and in most cases, its the same thing as you will get at a University.

Also, do not dely on financial aid the entire time your in school. Or should i say expect?

You will get student loans always. But that federal grant you dont have to repay wont always be there unless you NEVER work. I found this out the hard way. My first year of school was paid by this grant, except books. Now, next year, I have to pay everything, I will only get student loans. No federal gtants. And in case your wondering, thats going to be well over $4,000 (living at home) I have to fork out fo rnext year.

But think of it this way, all this money, will pay off in the end.

And honestly, stop worrying about what your going to school for. It has been proven that people change their majors atleast 3 times before finally settling on a major (i have changed mine 2 times). Worry about getting your generals out of the way (math,english, science, etc..). Then decide what you want to do.
You need your generals no matter what field/major you choose.

Stick with it, College might sound like fun and games, but its not the time to screw around. Do good in College, but have fun. Don't stop now becasue you dont know what to do. Education is very important, and with todays society, its very much so worth it.

Unless you get really lucky, you will never get a good paying job. Now, some people can do this, but most cant.

Also, if programming is what you decide you want to do, start getting exprience, learn the languages, their are many of them out there. Find a job, or intership. Education and expirience will get you far in life.

Stick with it! A better Job awaits you!

Back
Top Bottom