What happened ..

David Lindon

Golden Master
Well I just upgraded the database software and basically there obviously was some issues with moving from 1 version to a newer one.

This is what happens when you upgrade things!.

Or do a complete upgrade, and don't worry for another 5 years, haha

Just kiddin man, oh well upgrading is worth it!

David Lindon said:
Well I just upgraded the database software and basically there obviously was some issues with moving from 1 version to a newer one, this is what happens when you upgrade things!.

With respect, may I say this then.

[1] Is it absolutely essential that regular upgrades take place, is it in the CF contract?

[2] If it is, can you please post advance warnings in all areas, 24 or 36 hours in advance, this will cover most time zones.

[3] What is the set frequency of these upgrades?.

All day yesterday, I tried to access the dozens of queries posted in the social lounge, but when I clicked, there were no posts, just a small gap where they should have been, this has never happened before, so why this time especially, & could this level of disruption happen again?

I understand that it must be difficult to run a site of this size, especially if you are under restraints, but I think you owe it to all of us to explain, I hope this doesn't make me sound rebellious, I'm just one of the great CF community trying to find some answers, thanks.

1) IMO updates are neccessary to keep the site secure etc.
2)Good idea, most other sites do this
3)Not sure

Everyone was having the same problem. Yes it could happen again, anything is possible, like David said, this is one of the things that can happen when you update.

Raffaz said:
1) IMO updates are neccessary to keep the site secure etc.
2)Good idea, most other sites do this
3)Not sure

Everyone was having the same problem. Yes it could happen again, anything is possible, like David said, this is one of the things that can happen when you update.
Thanks Mick, I know you're right in what you say, it'll be interesting to see what he says though, I respect him, as I know we all do, he's a good guy, far better than some admin I've come across, but yesterday was like no other day we've ever had.

i only got problems at night time. wasnt that painful. i mean it wasnt hard for me to find something else to do for a few hours. upgrading is an essential part of a forum and theres no easy way of doing it. im sure it will be worth it when all the white pages stop.

Brookfield said:
With respect, may I say this then.

[1] Is it absolutely essential that regular upgrades take place, is it in the CF contract?

[2] If it is, can you please post advance warnings in all areas, 24 or 36 hours in advance, this will cover most time zones.

[3] What is the set frequency of these upgrades?.

All day yesterday, I tried to access the dozens of queries posted in the social lounge, but when I clicked, there were no posts, just a small gap where they should have been, this has never happened before, so why this time especially, & could this level of disruption happen again?

I understand that it must be difficult to run a site of this size, especially if you are under restraints, but I think you owe it to all of us to explain, I hope this doesn't make me sound rebellious, I'm just one of the great CF community trying to find some answers, thanks.

It is not necessary that upgrades are made at all. In my opinion, if its working ok then what is the need? but ofcourse there are 1 or 2 members who keep harping on about we need to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 :rolleyes: and generally make me look bad about 'how I don't care' if it doesn't get done, etc etc. so eventually I think well maybe it would run better, more reliable and faster so whats the harm.

Web server software: Took several days to get it to run ok with vbulletin, database and php. Lots of downtime for everyone and lots of work for me.

PHP upgrade: Took several days to correctly get it to work with database software. = downtime

Vbulletin = a few hours downtime to upgrade, months for users to find where functions had moved to.

Database software: didn't agree with data created from previous version = crash and 1-2 days downtime.

And its still ongoing, vbulletin now tell me that this version of vb does not run well at all with the newer database software. So I need to have the latest vb and the latest database software which means another upgrade and so it goes on.........

Maybe things would run smoother if upgrades we run more frequently, so less of a jump, maybe thats a better stratergy?

So next time one of those? omg why hasn't vbulletin been upgraded to 3.0.0.0.x by now? We all now the answer.

dude_se said:
i only got problems at night time. wasnt that painful. i mean it wasnt hard for me to find something else to do for a few hours. upgrading is an essential part of a forum and theres no easy way of doing it. im sure it will be worth it when all the white pages stop.
Yes, when all the white pages stop! It affects me more, because I'm logged on almost continually from 8am til 10pm

It is not necessary that upgrades are made at all. In my opinion, if its working ok then what is the need?

Upgrades are needed to prevent further security risks. You don't think I like upgrading databases or forum software do you? I don't think developers like spending hours patching up software either, but it's all essential that software especially used by the public is updated constantly to prevent any further problems.

You should expect problems when you try to upgrade the old with the new.

David Lindon said:
It is not necessary that upgrades are made at all. In my opinion, if its working ok then what is the need? but ofcourse there are 1 or 2 members who keep harping on about we need to upgrade from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 :rolleyes: and generally make me look bad about 'how I don't care' if it doesn't get done, etc etc. so eventually I think well maybe it would run better, more reliable and faster so whats the harm.

Web server software: Took several days to get it to run ok with vbulletin, database and php. Lots of downtime for everyone and lots of work for me.

PHP upgrade: Took several days to correctly get it to work with database software. = downtime

Vbulletin = a few hours downtime to upgrade, months for users to find where functions had moved to.

Database software: didn't agree with data created from previous version = crash and 1-2 days downtime.

And its still ongoing, vbulletin now tell me that this version of vb does not run well at all with the newer database software. So I need to have the latest vb and the latest database software which means another upgrade and so it goes on.........

Maybe things would run smoother if upgrades we run more frequently, so less of a jump, maybe thats a better stratergy?

So next time one of those? omg why hasn't vbulletin been upgraded to 3.0.0.0.x by now? We all now the answer.
Perhaps it would be better to ignore those one or two members there'll always be those!!, & concentrate on the majority who hate this, yes?, as to the vbulletin essential updates it looks like we'll have to all grin & bear it, but surely they won't be as bad as yesterday?, [I hope!]

Back
Top Bottom