We've got potential...to get movin'

lhuser

Golden Master
Well, as I planned for the CPU upgrades, I checked all Slot 1 computers.

I've done a log for you:

PC#1: Kootenay SEA440LXLAN-13
CPU type: PII/Celeron

Operations done: Check if the PII 350MHZ with 100MHZ FSB would work. It popped up PII @ 233MHZ. I check through google for BIOS flashes, but in vain. This board can only support the 233-333MHZ CPU chips. Bummer.

Conclusion: Replace board, if possible

PC#2: Intel SE440BX-2

Operations done: Look at Intel's site for CPU support. The board can take up to a PIII 850MHZ CPU! It needed a BIOS flash, which I did and successfuly worked. It's now ready

Conclusion: Wait for a PIII 750ish CPU

PC#3: IBM Aptiva 2139-E5U

Operations done: Take out the 400MHZ CPU from the Dell and try on the IBM to see if they locked the CPU clock. Nope. The 350MHZ was suddently a 400MHZ with 100MHZ FSB. I checked with Google for the PIII support. It brought me to the Socket 370 convertor with Pentium 3s. The big list have shown the support for these. The computer is in there. So, it will work.

Conclusion: Wait for a PIII 600ish CPU

PC#4: Dell G1
CPU Type: PII/Celeron

Operations made: Looked at the same site for PIII support. They are saying I must use special Slot T and a Y cable. Now, as I know much more than they do, the PC is ready for PIII...up to 850MHZ, almost guaranteed.

Conclusion: Wait for a PIII 700ish CPU

All will get at least 256MB RAM in there.
We've got a lot potential from these little guys.

Re: We've got pentential...to get movin'

My folding machine is using a 500Mhz Pentium III. :)

Well, apparantly the G1 series can take to 450 or 500MHZ, depending on the division. I have the second, so I can have to 500...BUT, the 440BX is a beast: It can handle a PIII 850.00MHZ.
I'd love to use a folding machine, but, I will become restraint...especially from the ISP. If I get enough money, I'll get two ISPs, and dedicate a good octal core of Folding.

My folding machine is on a server.. :)

P4, 1GB RAM, FX5500.. seems to be doing the job! I run it on my laptop as well you see..

Nice way to spell POTENTIAL by the way, lol.

Oh yeah, you've wanted to part out that Poweredge. I thought of buying it, but nah...I didn't need a big thing.

Every Hz count.

Back
Top Bottom