watch clip

if it's a metal one you'll find that near the strap and the end the links are held together with metal pins that are a very tight fit.you simply push a pin out this breaks the strap, then further on in the links you push out another pin, this removes a series of links. then you join the two halves that are still attached to the watch.

before you do this I'd actually check whether the fastening can be altered as this only involve removing replacing 1 pin.

the pins are very small, it's easiest to take then out with a plain (as in not plastic covered) bent, (or unbent depending on how you think about it) paperclip, or needle.

It's pretty difficult to do it yourself. A lot of times the pins are very tight and a paperclip simply will not work because it isn't strong enough. You could do it if you had a needle, you may need a small hammer though to try and tap it loose. Then you have to be careful the needle doesn't slip off and prick you or scratch the watch...etc.

Most jewelery stores will do it for you for free. They have a machine that pushes the pins out.

root said:
if it's a metal one you'll find that near the strap and the end the links are held together with metal pins that are a very tight fit.you simply push a pin out this breaks the strap, then further on in the links you push out another pin, this removes a series of links. then you join the two halves that are still attached to the watch.

before you do this I'd actually check whether the fastening can be altered as this only involve removing replacing 1 pin.

the pins are very small, it's easiest to take then out with a plain (as in not plastic covered) bent, (or unbent depending on how you think about it) paperclip, or needle.
do u have any pictures to show this

Tommy Boy said:
It's pretty difficult to do it yourself. A lot of times the pins are very tight and a paperclip simply will not work because it isn't strong enough. You could do it if you had a needle, you may need a small hammer though to try and tap it loose. Then you have to be careful the needle doesn't slip off and prick you or scratch the watch...etc.

Most jewelery stores will do it for you for free. They have a machine that pushes the pins out.
here is a picture pic

OK.

here is how it's done.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~dr224/VIDEO_00001.mp4

appologies for the quality, I'm at work, and had to suspend my phone ontop of a couple of coffee cups to show this. -also don't know how long that video will be up as I'm leaving work soon and will loose the webspace that it's hosted on.

(and I did use a paper clip, although Tommy is right, sometimes this won't be good enough. so from now on I'll just refer to the paperclip as the rod,

first, the rod is pushed into the side of the strap, pushing the pin out the other side. this pin is removed.

second, the strap is pulled appart.

third, repeat step one on a link further down the strap.

fourth, remove the unwanted links.

fifth, align the strap back together again.

sixth, push the pin back into the strap. the strap is back together.

as you can see this is a quite quick job. (the video is 1 minute 30 seconds, and I was pausing a lot of show the different steps).

if you have trouble however a good jewlers will usually do this free of charge.

Back
Top Bottom