Vista available in UK

Not gonna touch for at least another 6 months, at least till the first major patches are released

GlasseyeUK said:
Not gonna touch for at least another 6 months, at least till the first major patches are released
maybe wait until the first service pack is out , i am planning on building a rig to handle vista as i dont have one yet

David Lindon said:
So retails are 32 AND 64 bit?
think they are including 64 and 32 bit on the same disk and it just detects your hardware type and installs whicheveris necasery

David Lindon said:
So retails are 32 AND 64 bit?
OEM version, you buy one or the other, but the MS version has both editions on and is double the price!

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions can not be sold without being pre installed on a new machine.

It is written in the EULA (End User Licence Agreement). If you order those copies, you will have purchased those copies in breach of the licence agreement. And if you install it.... meh.....

OEM software also can not be transferred from one computer to another.

The only copies of software from Microsoft that can be sold WITHOUT being pre installed on a machine are RETAIL (FPP Fully Packaged Products). They cost more because you can transfer them from one machine to another. And this is also written in the EULA.

Natalya said:
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions can not be sold without being pre installed on a new machine.

It is written in the EULA (End User Licence Agreement). If you order those copies, you will have purchased those copies in breach of the licence agreement. And if you install it.... meh.....

OEM software also can not be transferred from one computer to another.

The only copies of software from Microsoft that can be sold WITHOUT being pre installed on a machine are RETAIL (FPP Fully Packaged Products). They cost more because you can transfer them from one machine to another. And this is also written in the EULA.

I was under the impression that if you built your own machine, then it was perfectly within your rights to purchase and OEM version and it WAS legal to install it.

I was aware that they weren't transferrable to other computers, but I still think that this is a rediculous notion and really unenforcable, or have they now changed the registration process to prevent this?

Written on the top left hand side of any OEM CD it states "For distribution with a new PC only."
It is rather self explanitory.

This is taken out of the EULA.

* Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS
LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED,
TRANSFERRED TO OR USED CONCURRENTLY
ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE
is licensed with the HARDWARE as a single integrated
product and may only be used with the HARDWARE. If the
SOFTWARE is not accompanied by new HARDWARE, you may
not use the SOFTWARE.
You may permanently transfer all
of your rights under this EULA only as part of a
permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided
you retain no copies, if you transfer all of the SOFTWARE
(including all component parts, the media and printed
materials, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate
of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms
of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any
transfer must also include all prior versions of the
SOFTWARE.

GlasseyeUK said:
I was under the impression that if you built your own machine, then it was perfectly within your rights to purchase and OEM version and it WAS legal to install it.

I was aware that they weren't transferrable to other computers, but I still think that this is a rediculous notion and really unenforcable, or have they now changed the registration process to prevent this?

Also, OEM is targetted at people who wont change Hardware and what not in their machines. OEM software it bound to the hardware/mainly motherboard. If you have OEM software and you change the Hardware in your machine as part of a voluntary upgrade because say you want more speed then your software becomes void. But if you motherboard for example was faulty you could change it.

If you are the type of user who changes hardware often, OEM is not for you. If you can afford new Hardware, and custom built machines, you can afford a RETAIL FPP copy of Windows. :D

Sorry about the double post.

Back
Top Bottom