Urgent, Very Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GlasseyeUK said:
There is a strong possibility that this could be a rogue dialler, which is when you have installed something from the internet, and it then changes your dial up settings. This is often a premium number, and can lead to very expensive phone bills.

British Telecom have clamped down on about a 1000 of these companies, more information can be found here

Rogue dialer information

I hope this helps but I just wanted you to be aware of the risk of very high phone bills.
My dial-up is a fixed monthly rate, & cannot cost more, I never buy items/services on the i/net, so nobody has my credit card number, but thanks for your concern!, whereabouts are you in the UK?, I'm on the Isle of Wight,send me a PM, with your locality, if you like. [you don't have to of course]

Maurice
thumbs.gif

WAT 2mb??? MY 1.4 mb sets me back 37 a month verizon dsl...Philyyy broad suks ass

Maurice said:
My dial-up is a fixed monthly rate, & cannot cost more, I never buy items/services on the i/net, so nobody has my credit card number, but thanks for your concern!, whereabouts are you in the UK?, I'm on the Isle of Wight,send me a PM, with your locality, if you like. [you don't have to of course]

Maurice
thumbs.gif

With rogue dialers you don't need to buy things of the net, it happens when you access webpages and they have activex controls, it then changes surrepticiously the phone number in your setup to a premium rate number which dials through tiawan or something stupid, it may not be the case, what alerted me to this is the fact that you mentioned the association with the GB dialer, this is one of the dialers that it does. I would check the number that your current connection is dialing and make sure it is still the same number that it used to do before. If so then no worries and GB dialer should be able to be removed using an appropriate spyware/malware remover.

If you google GB dialer you will see some of the concerns. I have had a friend who was hit by the dialer and it cost him a pretty penny.

I am in Manchester, never been to the Isle of Wright......but heard its meant to be pretty top notch there.

I have a techie coming today, [Thurs] to see to my dialler problem, he says that if, as I am doing, I click on to an email quickly before the rogue dialler comes up, I woon't incur high phone charges, [I am on dial-up, as I've said] another techie says I will. opinions welcomed on this.

Thanks, Maurice

Well, if its giving you a problem, then it is times to change to Dsl. You have said before, you dont need it. But really it is nice to have. And if this is giving you a problem. Then hell, why not change over?

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Well, if its giving you a problem, then it is times to change to Dsl. You have said before, you dont need it. But really it is nice to have. And if this is giving you a problem. Then hell, why not change over?

Dial-Up is like a hotel. If there's a problem, you can move out.
DSL is like your home. It stays with you. It's like leaving your backdoor open if you don't have the tools you need to protect your computer.

They are finding ways to use dialers on a DSL connection.

And, Dialers usually dial out at startup, or when you're going on the net. Usually, if the dialer has problems, Windows will pop up some message, telling you that this program want's access to the net, etc. For now, I suggest you get some spyware programs, and run a full scan of your computer. Leave it on for a while, and remove any infections. Also, if you want, you can run a HJT log, which will scan your computer, and show any problems. These logs are hand read. Take them to a forum, PM me for any suggestions.

GlasseyeUK said:
With rogue dialers you don't need to buy things of the net, it happens when you access webpages and they have activex controls, it then changes surrepticiously the phone number in your setup to a premium rate number which dials through tiawan or something stupid, it may not be the case, what alerted me to this is the fact that you mentioned the association with the GB dialer, this is one of the dialers that it does. I would check the number that your current connection is dialing and make sure it is still the same number that it used to do before. If so then no worries and GB dialer should be able to be removed using an appropriate spyware/malware remover.

If you google GB dialer you will see some of the concerns. I have had a friend who was hit by the dialer and it cost him a pretty penny.

I am in Manchester, never been to the Isle of Wight......but heard its meant to be pretty top notch there.
On the island, there are several very wealthy areas, pop stars, have second homes here, & high-ranking naval officers, tend to retire here, I live in a small village, out of the "rich" areas, but even here, I live 50 yards from a £1000,000 manor, where a world reknowned artist lives, some of his paintings selling for £10,000, but I love it here for the beautiful countryside, I am 10 minutes drive from Newport, a market town, some buildings dating back to the 16th century, I was born in Portsmouth, just across the water, moved over here with my late wife in 1969, pay us a visit, I think you'd like it, if you do, pay me a visit, you'd be welcome!, PM me, & tell me what it's like around you, I have friends from your area, & they say there are very pretty areas just outside your great city.
As to high phone charges, see my reply to root.

Regards, Maurice
sunglasses2.gif

Had a techie in, fixed now, it was a a rogue dialler, while here, he said he thought my HD was on it's way out, by sounds he heard, he explained it to me in layman terms as more clicking than is usual, my computer was built nine months ago, I'd appreciate comments on this, but boy am I glad to be back!!
dance.gif

Maurice

GlasseyeUK said:
There is a strong possibility that this could be a rogue dialler, which is when you have installed something from the internet, and it then changes your dial up settings. This is often a premium number, and can lead to very expensive phone bills.

British Telecom have clamped down on about a 1000 of these companies, more information can be found here

Rogue dialer information

I hope this helps but I just wanted you to be aware of the risk of very high phone bills.
Thanks for your concern about phone bills, luckily I've had my phone bill covering that period & there' "only" £20 high rate bills, yes, you were right, it was a rogue dialler, I had a local techie in, he got rid;- £30, a costly lesson to be careful!, are techies expensive where you live, where are you, by the way? PM me if you like
beer.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom