Sony PS3

Haha, I love this quote:

"Cell's greatest strength is that there's a lot of hardware on that chip. And Cell's greatest weakness is that there's a lot of hardware on that chip"

Just reading now.

Okay, that was only short. If I had to follow the links at the bottom, I don't understand websites that work like that.

Never the less, does this mean the problem with the processor not being able to run certain tasks is forgotten? Meaning, the Cell chip is now definietly more powerful than the XBOX 360 chip or what?

Can someone shed some light on this?

PRICE OF PS3:

Plus everyone, even if the manufacturing costs is over 900, they'll have to lose money on the console for any chance of it selling, trust me.

This is probably also due to the fact that manufacturing of the chips hasn't reached full capacity yet, so they are more expensive than they will be when full manufacturing of the console is started. This will mean that there will be a sudden drop in the mnufacturing price once it comes out, so the console can be cheaper.

its grossly over priced from what ive heard... cant say im overly impressed with the new gen systems yet... might just put the money towards a computer....

Overall i think it is to expensive. but i will have to agree with Kage there is no other way that they would get money.

Although it isn't a console for the Average Joe.

It's going to be expensive, but not over 1,000 dollars, of course it is going to cost more money than they're going to sell it for, but the main source of income that Sony will get is through the video games that will want to be compatible with the PS3.

HAhahahaha 1,100 dollars just to play, what a joke.

I'll just wait two or more years for someone to emulate the PS3. Why pay for somethign when someone can emulate it and you can download it for free? :confused:

I'd edit that post if I were you. Emulation is only meant to work if you have the original console/games in the first place. If you don't, its illegal...

I'd probably end up getting the Xbox 360 anyway, since there going to be about the same. I don't know what this new chip or something means though for speed, unless they planned it anyway.

Never the less, They will not sell it at that much, trust me. They are more likely going to lose money on the production, and anyway, when the building of them starts to build up, the prices of the manufacturer will drop significantly, trust me :p

The big question will be how much of a financial loss Sony will have to swallow on each box in order to get consumers to buy them.

The estimated total bill of materials for Sony's PS3 will be between $725 and $905, according to various online resources. In comparison, the Xbox 360 from Microsoft comes with a component bill between $501 and $525.

Though Sony hasn't disclosed the price of the PS3, analysts figure it will have to be in the ballpark of $299 to $399: the price for the two versions of the Xbox 360. PS3 pricing speculation has heated up in recent days, along with news that the long-awaited game console will be delayed for up to a year.

The PS3 will be one of the few machines on the market with XDR memory, based on designs from Rambus. May be controversial seeing how Rambus is doing nowadays. The big pricing is largely due to the fact that the Sony box will contain a Blu-ray drive, which supports the new high-definition Blu-ray DVD format. That could cost $200 to $300 or more per console. The processor in the PS3 also will likely cost more. The cell consists of a PowerPC core with eight signal processing cores. While the large number of cores help run multimedia applications, they also make for one large chip. Cell will take up 221 square millimeters of space, larger than the 168 square millimeters of the Xbox 360 processor. Larger chips are typically more expensive to make.

yeah.. but xbox's console isnt profitting for each sale. they lose around 150 or 200 dolalrs per console sold. They are trying to reclaim their financial status by selling the gaming software, additional hardware (controllers), and hd's etc. so initially.. sony will probably do the same thing with the ps3. assuming that the accumilative total is around 800 dollars for building/shipping costs for a ps3, they will take away around 200 dollars from that and slab on a price tag of 500 - 600 dollar range. thats a little too much for me.

gonna stick to the pc.. and btw, whats this nonsense i hear about pc gaming dying. HELL NO! NEVER! console gaming is decent.. but in no way will computers be outdriven by console users.

Back
Top Bottom