So I had to watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs...

Ð88

Fully Optimized
It's for my History of Animation class and I had to choose an animated film from that era then choose a movie from modern times (I chose Shrek) to compare it with.

I've made some general observations about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs:

1) Dopey is obviously mentally retarded but his condition becomes the center point of humour throughout the film. He is treated and acts like a dog in several scenes. Probably wouldn't go over too well amongst activists today.

2) Queen needs to be in a psyche ward but I guess that's the idea they try to convey with her killing anyone who is more beautiful than she is.

3) A little bit of racism against Japanese. Dopey portrays a very stereotpyical image of an Asian person and is looking especially stupid while doing it (remember this movie was released during WWII conflicts)

4) A lot of suggested brutality for a family movie:
- Queen's henchman was going to stab Snow White to death and cut her heart out
- Queen laughs hysterically thinking about Snow White being buried alive
- Queen falls to her death and vultures are seen flying in to feed on her body

5) And my favorite: A suggestion of necrophilia. The prince shows up to see Snow White in her glass coffin (of course singing like a douche bag as he walks up to it) and voluntarily kisses her on the lips knowing full well that she is a corpse (or as it is assumed as no one knows she is actually under a spell that makes her sleep forever).
I thought at first that the prince knew that kissing her would break the spell but turns out he really just thought he was kissing a dead body because he becomes very surprised when she awakes.

And that's that. Now I just have to watch Shrek.

I lol'd.

You WIN for your amazing observations...

That, and my drunkenness gets you a +1 <3 :)

haha nice report man, I can't remember much of that movie cause it's been a decade or more since I last saw it I think but now I wanna put it on just to see Dopey.

It's for my History of Animation class and I had to choose an animated film from that era then choose a movie from modern times (I chose Shrek) to compare it with.

I've made some general observations about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs:

1) Dopey is obviously mentally retarded but his condition becomes the center point of humour throughout the film. He is treated and acts like a dog in several scenes. Probably wouldn't go over too well amongst activists today.

2) Queen needs to be in a psyche ward but I guess that's the idea they try to convey with her killing anyone who is more beautiful than she is.

3) A little bit of racism against Japanese. Dopey portrays a very stereotpyical image of an Asian person and is looking especially stupid while doing it (remember this movie was released during WWII conflicts)

4) A lot of suggested brutality for a family movie:
- Queen's henchman was going to stab Snow White to death and cut her heart out
- Queen laughs hysterically thinking about Snow White being buried alive
- Queen falls to her death and vultures are seen flying in to feed on her body

5) And my favorite: A suggestion of necrophilia. The prince shows up to see Snow White in her glass coffin (of course singing like a douche bag as he walks up to it) and voluntarily kisses her on the lips knowing full well that she is a corpse (or as it is assumed as no one knows she is actually under a spell that makes her sleep forever).
I thought at first that the prince knew that kissing her would break the spell but turns out he really just thought he was kissing a dead body because he becomes very surprised when she awakes.

And that's that. Now I just have to watch Shrek.

Hahaha, it would probably get an R rating if it was released today.

Thats exacltly whats wrong with the world and shouldn' be taught in schools. People can take something completely innocenet and say thats 'racist' and the next thing we know its either banned or someone is being sued. The world is cowering to the minorities and regular people have to suffer

Back
Top Bottom