And so the fasting month has started!

One of the guys I work with has started his fast too, but our sunrise is at 04:44 and sunset is at 21:33, nearly 17 hours, incredible... not quite so hot here though!

Fasting 17 hours... now that's a challenge I'd take. But never in the heat we have here of course haha. And I just came back from doing errands in the middle of the day :D

Here we get reduced working hours. For me it is 6hours/6days a week now while normally it is 8hours/6days a week.

It's a part of his religion. Some western religions have a fasting period.
It's a purification ritual to prepare one's self for a religious event.

What's the purpose of the fasting?

In my beliefs, the main purpose of fasting the way we do is to remind us of those who don't have the privilege to eat whenever they want like we normally do. It is believed that putting one's self in the same boat as others, is the best way to know how they feel. It help us to consider their feelings. Giving out to the poor is highly looked up to in my beliefs.

It also helps me to lose weight :D

At first I wanted to use the expression "be in their shoes" but I ended up with "be in the same boat" because I thought the former just means being in the same situation regardless to what kind of situation it is, while the latter is usually used for situations with problems. I thought the poor not having the leisure to eat as they please is a problem.

Or am I not understanding the expressions correctly?

I also am starting to wonder if fasting would really help with losing weight if I eat like a maniac in night time :p

Back
Top Bottom