So angry right now.

Thelis

Golden Master
I spent about half a year trying to set up a server, and just now I decided to check what Optimum Online says about that.

This is what I get:

Hosting a Server

"In addition to the prohibitions outlined in the Acceptable Use Policy, the following restrictions apply:

Optimum Online:

Users may not run any type of server on the system. This includes but is not limited to FTP, IRC, SMTP, POP, HTTP, SOCKS, SQUID, DNS or any multi-user forums; Users may not register or point a domain, sub-domain, or hostname to any Optimum Online IP address. Moreover, Users may not have traffic redirected to The Service; Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision. For example, Subscriber may not provide Internet access to others through a dial up connection, wireless access or host shell accounts over the Internet, provide e-mail or news service, or send a news feed. Users may not copy, distribute or sublicense any software provided by Cablevision, except that Subscriber may make one copy of each software program for back up or archival purposes only;

Optimum Online Boost:

Users may not run any servers except for a webserver (HTTP) and mail (SMTP) on the system. This includes but is not limited to FTP, IRC, POP, SOCKS, SQUID, DNS or any multi-user forums. Users who opt to run a webserver must do so on port 80 only. Webservers running on any other port will be deemed a violation of these terms. Similarly, users who opt to run a mailserver (SMTP) must do so on port 25 only. Mailservers running on any other port will be deemed a violation of these terms. Users opting to run web or mail servers are expected to secure those services and maintain the security of those services on an ongoing basis. Mailservers are to be configured against open relay and third party exploitation. Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision. For example, Subscriber may not provide Internet access to others through a dial up connection, wireless access or host shell accounts over the Internet, provide e-mail or news service, or send a news feed. Users may not copy, distribute or sublicense any software provided by Cablevision, except that Subscriber may make one copy of each software program for back up or archival purposes only."

My ISP has the same policy. Doesn't stop me.

99% of the time you can just disobey it, however if you get a huge amount of traffic, they will eventually catch on.

Ya, thats just cause they don't want you sucking up a ton of bandwith, as long as you don't get thousands of users every day you'll be fine.

P2P isn't too good either. I am expecting a letter of some sort soon.

Lods of my friends have gotten busted before. Well they were idiots and didn't use port randomization though. I'd hate to get a letter, because if I get one then I can kiss P2P goodbye.

Edit: It actually is on the list of bad ISPs for US.

Edit: It actually is on the list of bad ISPs for US.
Lol I know, that's why I posted it.

It depends on your ISP. If I was going to get in trouble for P2P, it would've been a long time ago. Although I do encrypt my torrent traffic and use different ports...

Whatever, I am probably just paranoid. I don't torrent that much. And they are the most strict about music and movies, less so with programs.

Edit: Mods, uTorrent is perfectly legal, dloading illegally is illegal. We are not talking about dloading illegal stuff!

my brother has downloading probably 20ish movies...never been caught. sometimes he uses a proxy but rarely he does. sometimes he does use our neighbors signal which is ~300ish feet away and he gets 50-80KB/80KB max for our only ISP in our area...still cant believe comcast is only 300 FEET AWAY!

Back
Top Bottom