Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Should I??

well im getting a new video card, psu, and another gig of ram. ATM i can only foward what is in my sig should i save up to get an 8800GTS 320MB which would mean i couldnt really game until school starts which is in septemeber. but the price might drop enough when the 8900GTX comes out i hope. i really want to get gaming on a computer but cant decide
__________________

__________________
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
BSOD
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,505
Default Re: Should I??

If I were you I would save. You do not have to but that is what I would do if I were you.
__________________

__________________
Dark Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
mark thorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7,366
Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe
Default Re: Should I??

save..
__________________
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Should I??

buy now def.

it annoys me wen people wait and wait for prices to drop at the end of the day if the price has dropped then its prob coz something better has come out so by the time u saved for the GTS the 8900GTX will prob be out and u will want to save a bit more for that but by the time u have saved then the next card will be out lol.

its mostly old people that fall victim to this type of non common sense they are like oh yes i will not buy my new 32" not coz they are still 400 but by this time next year i will be able to get it for 300 but thats probably because u can now get a 42" for 400 lol so its pointless
__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #5
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,276
Default Re: Should I??

this is really an unfair question for yourself, everyone else since they really aren't in the same situation as you will just say save since they aren't the ones saving, but saving is really agonizing lol. that being said, if the video card / ram you have isn't giving you unbearable results, just save your money for a while, who knows, maybe AMD will give us a surprise.
__________________
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Should I??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
buy now def.

it annoys me wen people wait and wait for prices to drop at the end of the day if the price has dropped then its prob coz something better has come out so by the time u saved for the GTS the 8900GTX will prob be out and u will want to save a bit more for that but by the time u have saved then the next card will be out lol.

its mostly old people that fall victim to this type of non common sense they are like oh yes i will not buy my new 32" not coz they are still 400 but by this time next year i will be able to get it for 300 but thats probably because u can now get a 42" for 400 lol so its pointless
i can kind off see the point here , cos by the time you have saved up and waited then a newer better card will be out and you will kkid yourself into waiting for its price to go down then something better comes out . Tbh buy the card now and enjoy it if you have the money now why not the months of fun wil lbe worth much more than the lower price
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Should I??

also another thing to point out is that the 8800GTS and the 8900GTX will get old at bout the same time dont get me wrong they are gonna last a long time but wot im saying is that in 18 months - 3 years your card aint gonna be that great so your gonna want to upgrade again and at the moment i would say there is probably no game u cant play on high setting with the 8800GTS
__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
Istonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,469
Send a message via AIM to Istonian Send a message via MSN to Istonian
Default Re: Should I??

Whatever you do, get the 8800 GTS.
__________________
Linux > Windows
Istonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Should I??

thanks for the help guys.
__________________
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Should I??

Buy. You don't even know when the 8900's are coming out. There is a point where you have to stop and just say, "I'm buying this, and thats that." If you just keep waiting, you'll be waiting forever, because another half a year later new video cards are going to be released and you'll just end up saving for that and by then another video card will be out etc. Get what I'm saying? It's just a vicious cycle and there isn't really anything you can do about it.
__________________
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
BSOD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 6,556
Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Should I??

im talking about the 8800GTS 320MB not the 8900GS....which i wish was out because it is supposed to be about 200$ perfect in my price range
__________________
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
Daemon Poster
 
NEED WOW NOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,315
Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW
Default Re: Should I??

well im going into High school sooo im in ur shoes and IMO i think about how long it will take u to get enough money for the 8800 and if its more than u want to then just buy now. My computer is crap thats y im doing a Overhaul wit a new computer im building after i come back from vacation in Mexico. I am going to b satisfied with XP Pro 64 and a 7300GT. Right now i got XP Home with no SP2 its not compatible with SP2 and a 5200FX so i am the open book for hackers (got hacked on WoW one reason for Overhaul)and at the bottem of the barrel in computers. so consider ur self lucky and go ahead and buy right now. And how much money do u have to this thing
__________________
AMD is Happy!
Intel is Pissed!
Europe is $1.45 Billion Dollar's Richer!
NEED WOW NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
Jesusfrk611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 2,193
Default Re: Should I??

I would save. I am saving money for a bunch of stuff I am getting from newegg, regardless if it is agonizing, you are broke (for most people's cases) if you don't set aside money for just that. If you spend less, you normally don't get as good quality. If you got enough money now, buy it.
__________________
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Should I??

To be honest I would buy now, There is always something else round the corner and if you are on your summer holiday now then go for it!
__________________
[url=https://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Should I??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
buy now def.

it annoys me wen people wait and wait for prices to drop at the end of the day if the price has dropped then its prob coz something better has come out so by the time u saved for the GTS the 8900GTX will prob be out and u will want to save a bit more for that but by the time u have saved then the next card will be out lol.

its mostly old people that fall victim to this type of non common sense they are like oh yes i will not buy my new 32" not coz they are still 400 but by this time next year i will be able to get it for 300 but thats probably because u can now get a 42" for 400 lol so its pointless
Or just do what I do.

"Hmm.. that 6800Ultra is too expensive.. i'll wait.. *waits*.. alright, that 7600GT is pretty cheap, and performs faster than the 6800Ultra.. *buys*"
__________________

__________________
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×