Scientists at CERN claim to have broken the speed of light

Just so you know, the fermi labs have been close to being shut down, so a find like this could be an attempt by them to keep in business.

PS, I didn't know light had a speed, just an on off position?

It most certainly does have a speed, it's the absolute foundation of many parts of physics...!

Don't you mean: " Relevant ;) "

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see this a particularly exciting. Cool maybe, but pretty pointless discovery. Of course in 200 (maybe 500?) hundred years when we all move around the universe faster than the speed of light I guess I'll eat my hat.....LOL

My guess is that there's something wrong somewhere, just a mistake they haven't found yet. I know they've been looking for mistakes for ages, but it's hardly a simple thing to look for and even the best minds mess up. Could be anything from a calibration issue in one of the many machines there to rounding errors to all sorts.

Though I would love it if what they've found is true - it would be a great discovery and a great advancement in our understanding of physics. I just don't think that's going to be the case.

Their results have six standard deviations of certainty. The requirement for a discovery is five.

I'm just gonna put this out there....how much money has this cost? What good will it do...oh wait they say what good it will do....

And yet millions of people die from diseases everyday......*sighs*

You see the computer you're using right now? Thanks to similar "far-fetched investments" in the past they were able to create it.

the speed of light is the maximum speed any matter in the uni/multiverse can travel. To break it would be a physical impossibility I would say.

Nothing is for certain in physics. Everything is just a theory. Eistein could be "wrong" just like Newton was "wrong".

It's a pretty pointless goal anyway, how will this experiment help the human race? :p

See my answer about the computer above.

Just so you know, the fermi labs have been close to being shut down, so a find like this could be an attempt by them to keep in business.

This was a discovery by CERN. Fermi labs, along with other labs in the world, are going to try and replicate the results.

Light travels at 182,282 miles per second. If you had two lasers aimed at each other, at exactly 182,282 miles apart. How long would it take for the beams to impact?

This was a discovery by CERN. Fermi labs, along with other labs in the world, are going to try and replicate the results.

Both Fermi and CERN labs are huge drains on the economy, fermilab has already been on the table to be shut down. CERN would likely follow...

You see the computer you're using right now? Thanks to similar "far-fetched investments" in the past they were able to create it.

To quote myself:
Of course in 200 (maybe 500?) years when we all move around the universe faster than the speed of light I guess I'll eat my hat.....LOL

I wasn't saying it was entirely stupid, just don't see a point to it now that's all.

I don't get how people are saying this is a useless discovery. There aren't practical implications right away, but a better understanding of physics will result in more advanced technology.

Do you also think that the theory of relativity was a useless discovery? Discovering it didn't immediately change anything, but the better understanding of physics helped to bring us into the nuclear age, among other things.

Besides, I think it's important to understand how the universe works, whether or not it has practical implications.

Back
Top Bottom