Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #25981
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Random Chit Chat

I want to leave here but cannot as my nephew would loose the house. I don't want to see him get hurt. He has two houses. so i have half of this one and the other half is for my other nephew. Then he has the other house with some room rentals. They are in nice shape but bad town and neighborhood.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:49 AM   #25982
Fully Optimized

We live in a railroad town as well. The Union Pacific Railroad originally had their headquarters here. There's a large switchyard that makes it a pain in the keester to get from one side of town to the other since you have to go around that yard.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #25983
Daemon Poster

I used to live next to a switchyard. Does that count?
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
3xSceptre E255B-1658A 24.5" 165Hz + NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 19" (in 3+1 configuration)
TrotterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #25984
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterTech View Post
I used to live next to a switchyard. Does that count?
I have before too, and yes that should count! I don't mind trains and have a nice 3X8 foot model railroad layout. It is based on the logging camps there in the West Virginia part of the country. I worked in the sawmill. Loved that!! Loaded the finished product into boxcars. Love the smell of fresh cut wood. Only thing better is the cooking and heating with it.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #25985
Fully Optimized

Now, As to the bad side of it is anymore they bring a few men to live here. The rest of them work or are stationed at the air force base. The rest are trouble. They are the leftovers from times past. The downtown area is where they have tracks loading and switching the cars from one track to another. The town is pretty much empty. Old buildings all shuttered. a way of life long gone. There is a lot of those around the country. Sucks to see that in our part of the country. Thats the way of the heartland of our country. See my signature below. It is so true. Back home tracks long ago not used and others have been ripped up and you see a lot of tracks that came to a switch, and they cut out the switch and the track is just left there. Coal and logging both. Days long gone and ghost towns covered in vegetation or tore down. Just a spot on a map if its even there anymore I know West Virginia is not the only one. Virginia, Pennsylvania Ohio and many more all over the country. Damn shame.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #25986
Fully Optimized

Stupid laptops. Something stupid has to happen with them and they are never system-reset/upgrade friendly with me.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #25987
Fully Optimized

And that's why i don't have one. For the most part, my computer don't have any issues. If it does then i can fix it. With a laptop that just can't happen. I just had to have my s3 replaced because it just acted weird. I have the S6 now. I use it every day as i can get programs in it and if i want to save them i can plug in the tablet into the computer and upload to the computer and i don't lose my pictures or music or whatever.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #25988
Fully Optimized

I have several laptops (as well as multiple desktops) and don't have problems with them. My main laptop I've had for 8 years, it's a Toshiba with a 3rd gen i7 cpu and 12GB of RAM. It still runs strong. The only thing I've ever done to it was replace the original 1TB hdd with a 500GB ssd. It also came with Win 8.0 which was upgraded to 8.1 and then to Win 10.

I also have an Acer Aspire One A0722 netbook that's a few years old. It has 4GB of RAM plus I replaced the 320GB hdd it had with a 250GB ssd but it just isn't pleasurable to use with Windows. Just the other day I installed Linus Mint Mate on it and that runs somewhat better.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #25989
Fully Optimized

I got a Asus here that Deb used kept having issues with charging, (i think it was Deb being stupid with the plug to it.) Its back there and haven't touched it since. Maybe one of these days i may tinker with it to see what kind of damage it has. Might be easy like able to replace the plug or if it has it on the motherboard i will most likely toss it. If i can get to the solder joints maybe but i kind of doubt it. It was a 3rd gen I5 and 8 gigs of ddr3. it had a ssd and originally had 8.1 windows in it but i switched it over to windows 10 64bit. I paid over a 1000 bucks for it she used it for 3 years before she screwed it up.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #25990
Fully Optimized

What do you guys think of reaching 230F at a 10 minute full stop after a one hour trip under 111F weather? New quality radiator, thermostat, fan clutch and coolant are on. The aux fans are blowing at max speed and A/C is on at 3/4 speed and cooling just fine. The fan clutch cuts in full speed at 220F coolant temp and loosens up at 205F (not fully slipping). Is this okay? some say it could be the water pump. I replaced it 5 years ago.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #25991
Golden Master

Normal in those conditions. May be better off with electric fans instead of clutch fan.

Outside temp rather extreme.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #25992
Fully Optimized

Cel and Dan - What do you think of Lt Gov Dan Patrick's remarks that he doesn't need Fauci's advice on how to combat the virus? Especially in light of the Texas soaring number of new cases.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:28 AM   #25993
Fully Optimized

The 111F I saw at that time was actually modest. At times it gets to 120F. I still see similar coolant temp, tho.

I'm struggling to find a good fitting electric fan(s) and a an electrician to fit it perfectly. One day, SG.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #25994
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Cel and Dan - What do you think of Lt Gov Dan Patrick's remarks that he doesn't need Fauci's advice on how to combat the virus? Especially in light of the Texas soaring number of new cases.
It will speed up the rising cases. Myself, if i don't go inside without a mask i would be super stupid. I am on Oxygen so it could be could harder on me. Most of the time Deb does the shopping. so far that has worked. When we get home Deb sprays the bags with some Lysol. If it helps with reduces the level of the virus it should be a good thing. Lots of folks around here don't use the mask. Thats just plain dumb. I could see a fine or ticket for not using a mask and stores Not letting folks in there store, if they don't have masks. Remember, It starts with me..
Old 07-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #25995
Fully Optimized

With the high temps here,(100+) that would be normal. I was sitting for a hour or so at two different places with the a/c on high. With the electric fans on, My clutch fan didn't lock up and my temps never went over 190f. But that said, Its high humidity here about 70+degrees Makes the feel temps in the 117+ ranges. With the humidity it actually helps with temps as the higher rate allows the humidity to help cool the radiator. I never went over 195 like i said. The electric fans help with the a/c work better. Sitting outside in the truck inside was 74 degrees. Outside was 102 and fell like 116 degrees. I have a bad head gasket and it never got hot so those fans are the right thing for my truck. Like i said, I did a bunch of upgrades to the truck for towing. I am sure the extra fans and 4 core Aluminum radiator helped me a lot. The 12 blade helps i am sure as well. New water Pump and timing chain when i was doing that work on it. Have to run a 195 degree thermostat as it has something to do with emissions so it not going over the 200 mark was letting me know i did the right things with those add ons.
Now that said, You could have a partal blocked radiator. Outside and Inside it. A, remove the thermostat, flush and new coolant and thermostat. And one other thing, Go to a self serve car wash. Spray into the radiator from the inside of the engine compartment towards the front side. I am thinking that you are in deserts so you could have a blockage from the sands in your area. That was one thing i found living in Arizona. The radiator was about half way plugged up with sand. Also, I am not sure what thermostat to use for you. Most cars and gas powered trucks here have to use the 195 degree unit but not sure over there. If you have emissions testing then you may not have a choice. If they don't, i would go with a 160 or 180 degree. If you have cold winters then i would go with that 180 degree unit. Without even more info it is harder to figure out what gives with your car. Like What core radiator and what is it made of.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #25996
Fully Optimized

Radiator and fan clutch are OEM specs, new. Coolant too. Only the t-stat is a pathetic rated 150F. OEM is 190F and I can't find it any where so I have no choice. Last year I had no problems. Dunno what's the problem this time. Last year I had a 190F t-stat that I removed because I think it went bad and now can't find the same.

I bought a new water pump to fit in next week.

Does low t-stat hurt in the coolant heating department?
Old 07-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #25997
Fully Optimized

Too low a t-Stat might keep the engine from reaching normal operating temp when freezing cold outside. I doubt it gets cold enough where you live to make any difference. You could run fine with no t-Stat. Might take a little longer for your engine to reach normal operating temperature.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #25998
Golden Master

The tstat is there for a reason. It regulates the flow.

Strollin, I don't watch the news.

I need a new battery for my car. sigh
Old 07-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #25999
Fully Optimized

I need a lot of things on my truck. A paint job is up there pretty bad! Finish my brake job and head gaskets should get-r-done.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #26000
Golden Master

I had a doc appt yesterday when I found my car with a dead battery. About to find out what's the deal with my shoulder/xrays.

My right hand/arm is useless. I'm doing everything one handed including working on my car. Found the battery shot so new batt's on order.

The weather sucks.

« Happiness is... | - »