Possibly the best political statement ever made...

Personally i think its good mannered that if you want to live somewhere you should make a good effort to learn the language that is spoken by the majority of people that live there .

As for the issue of enforcing that it would be quite difficult as there is no true official language in the US and there are an increasing number of other language speakers coming in particularly spanish , clearly you cannot just neglect the needs of these people because of a language barrier . Whats next in this xenephobic paradise of Tim James refusing to treat people at hospitals because they cant speak English
I agree with this completely. Everyone in the USA should be required to know English... Not Spanish. Not English AND Spanish. Just ENGLISH.. /minirant
Whilst this might be some xenephobic dream of yours that the minute anybody steps foot on US soil they immediatly learn English and forget any other language that they know it is not a dream that will be realised any time soon
Besides what wrong with being bilingual?

and by the way. you guys are twisting the freedom of speech thing all to pieces. it has nothing to do with language. it has to do with voicing your opinion, like if i think the president sucks, i can say that and not be arrested.

i guess its against the law to pledge allegiance to the flag. And i bet you guys also think having an american flag hanging in a class room is offensive to people not from here.

this country is twisted.

Yeah... It's like we don't know that the little icons showing stick people walking across the street is in another language.

ok smart ass, whats this mean??
stock-photo-japanese-street-sign-arrow-6490873.jpg

or this?
p_2472173.jpg

and by the way. you guys are twisting the freedom of speech thing all to pieces. it has nothing to do with language. it has to do with voicing your opinion, like if i think the president sucks, i can say that and not be arrested.

i guess its against the law to pledge allegiance to the flag. And i bet you guys also think having an american flag hanging in a class room is offensive to people not from here.

this country is twisted.

I think you are approaching the situation wrongly. How can we have freedom of speech if we are forced to speak a certain way? Also, what are you getting at with the flag?

the point is. ENGLISH is probably one of if not THE MOST widely used language in the world. so just because the 20% non english speaking immigrants want us to change doesnt mean we have to. why should we bend over backwards for them? its called the MAJORITY VOTE. not minority.

Actually if you look at it that way the whole world should speak Mandarin as that is the most popular language by number of native speakers , followed by Spanish which is actually a very popular language in the busniess world , english is 3rd by most estimations

If theres 20% imigrants that would benefit for official documents being made available for them in Spanish then i would say that is a significant enough number to make it reasonable

my grandparents came here from lebanon and italy, and guess what? THEY LEARNED ENGLISH. they didnt sit there and bitch and want the world to bend to their needs. they knew they wanted to live here. so they ADAPTED. its not an instantaneous process. it takes YEARS of hard work. but hard work is a lost art.

Actually if you look at it that way the whole world should speak Mandarin as that is the most popular language by number of native speakers , followed by Spanish which is actually a very popular language in the busniess world , english is 3rd by most estimations

If theres 20% imigrants that would benefit for official documents being made available for them in Spanish then i would say that is a significant enough number to make it reasonable

maybe because asia has a HUGE population, but look how many countries speak or have signs in english. in fact everyone in the world that flys a plane has to speak and read english.

and 20% is significant? you sir fail at math.

lewblue83, I don't think you see my point. Those signs are readable only in Japanese and no other languages, while the American driving signs are more iconic. Also, America has its own driving laws, not driving laws from other countries. That really has nothing to do with SPEAKING the language.

I think you are approaching the situation wrongly. How can we have freedom of speech if we are forced to speak a certain way? Also, what are you getting at with the flag?

because the same people that think the way you guys are right now. are the same people that change an entire schools systems policy for one child. now schools in some communities arent allowed to pledge allegiance to the flag and theyre not allowed to hang any american flags in the classrooms because it is offensive.

once again because a SMALL group of people found it somehow offensive or against their rights. thats funny because i thought democracy was all about the majority vote. looks like i was wrong

this country is twisted.

]
So you pledge alligance to your flag and your consitution right , well surely you can see that forcing everybody to speak tha language that isnt even the oficial language of the country is unconsitutional .

What about if they where talking about taking away your right to bear arms im sure youd have a constitutional issue with that wouldnt you

Personally no i do not find a problem hanging a flag of the country from a classroom wall , if you are prepared to move someone and live your life there then i think there are certain aspects of the countries culture you should expect to come into contact with

lewblue83, I don't think you see my point. Those signs are readable only in Japanese and no other languages, while the American driving signs are more iconic. Also, America has its own driving laws, not driving laws from other countries. That really has nothing to do with SPEAKING the language.

it has everything to do with the point you were making. you said people shouldnt have to learn the language of the land the live in. and that we have no official language.

so if all the street names were written in japanese , you wouldnt know where you were going or the name of the street you were on. but it falls well within your reasoning of this country having no official language. so with that said, we might as well use japanese then. why not?

Back
Top Bottom