police cruiser search lights

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Ever notice how most police cars have spotlights usually located near the driver's side mirror? (see picture). I have one of those lights, I was thinking of mounting it on my truck in the same place as Crown Victoria cruisers.
There's been a few times something like that would have came in handy to throw light on some things my headlights wont shine on. Especially useful considering the wide radius it can turn, rather than something mounted stationary like fog lamps.
Problem is, I'm not sure if its legal, as it could be seen as imitating an emergency vehicle. And that's a road of fines I don't want to go down, especially when i haven't had my license for very long..
Anyone have any experience with this?

99-Police-Car.jpg

I've seen some decommissioned Police Interceptors roll around with the spotlights still mounted. Not sure if they render them useless when they sell them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal to have operational ones. They blind you pretty well and I'm sure the police don't want people rolling around being douchecakes to other motorists.

I've seen some decommissioned Police Interceptors roll around with the spotlights still mounted. Not sure if they render them useless when they sell them, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal to have operational ones. They blind you pretty well and I'm sure the police don't want people rolling around being douchecakes to other motorists.

i would call it deer lights...lol

IMHO i dont see why it wouldnt be illegal.
there all over the F350s back home.

I see those lights all the time. I guess it's just to try to blind the driver if there is a cop chase going on.

I see those lights all the time. I guess it's just to try to blind the driver if there is a cop chase going on.

Lol I don't think its for that.. I've seen cops use it before- usually when they go through a park at night they will shine it in the dark spots

can't speak for american law...

but British law is fairly clear cut.
front facing lights should be white/yellow coloured and be restricted to headlamps and front fog lights.

you see those cars with the rally lights on the front, or trucks with lights on the roll bars, it's illegal to actually use those lights on the highway.

I think that the law would probably be something like you can have whatever lights you want, provided that they are securely mounted and don't pose a danger, you're just not allowed to actually use then whilst driving.

if you fitted a search light like that to a truck and used to to shine an ultra powerful beam on a private road, or if you were in a woods then that'd probably be OK. but i'd imagine that they are not for highway use.

American sensi would probably be able to say for sure.

or you could search for lighting requirements for your state etc, that should say what you must have, as well as what you must not have.

call your local police department and ask them...

(that is if you acquired the light "legally" lul)

Yes, You can legally have standard non modified spotlights within the frame as the Police cruisers do. However it is your responsibility to legally operate them. If caught using them on the highway, street, peoples homes, etc you could be pulled over and cited.

Back
Top Bottom