Pirate Radio

semtex

In Runtime
So what do the people here think of pirate (unlicensed) radio? Me personally, living near london am loving the diversity that the pirates offer in terms of music. my 2 favourites being passion 91.8fm and Shine 87.9.

Like i say these are pirates - just normal everyday people with dayjobs but personally i'm impressed by how professional they are, check out these live streams that they offer - in 128k stereo. Not bad for a group of people fighting against the authorities taking their equipment all the time

Shine 87.9FM - http://213.48.102.229:9030/

Pasion 91.8FM - http://66.79.166.72:8000/

Both are on the air 24/7 too!

it was kiss that started pirate radio wasnt it? kiss is a great radio station. where bouts do you live? i cant find 91.8 on my radio...

That is prbably because tjhey are computer stations and it depends where you live, mark ill try mine and tell you tomorrot, yeh?

actually, it was radio caroline that started pirate radio in 1969from a vessel in the channel - hence the term pirate radio, radio luxemburge started shortly after. Kiss were the one of the first major london pirates to get a long term broadcast licence, but they did have the advantage of being on dry land and were able to use fm stereo in the 70's

I live in aldershot, about 30 miles from london where there can be 100+ pirate transmissions at the weekend. with the right kit i can pick most of them up.

The stations i mentioned are not "computer" or net stations - they actually broadcast over much of london and surrounding areas on FM frequencies by normal people who have a geniune interest in music. Music is the whole reason they do it

Mark, i'm not sure how far away you live from london, but for me to pick these people up on the radio, 30 miles requires the Galaxy 23 on this page- http://anas.worldonline.es/ronsmith/fm.htm on a rotator mounted to a 20 foot mast on the chimney

They differ alot, in that it it extreemly unlikely you will get raided if running an internet station. The main reason the pirates get raided is because they are transmitting unlicensed with un approved equipment on controlled an regulated frequencies, this includes band 1 links too. about the only thing an internet station could possibly be done for is evasion of royalties for the music taht they play. Though it is very inlikely that any case would be persued.

i live in birmingham and there is a shit load here too personally having a big jamaican community there is loads of reggae ones and drum and bass too i havent got a problem but it is quite funny going through london if you look up at the top of the flats n brixton and surrounding areas there is just loads of scaffolding poles and you know just what they are lol

yeah some of the TX sites are pretty damn obvious! not much point in trying to hide them though becasue it's very easy to track the source of the signal anyway

you probably heard about the station in birmingham that had a faulty transmitter then? It was sprogging on to air traffic control frequencies, the only way they found out was when pilots were saying the could hear garage music instead of instructions when landing!

Back
Top Bottom