Which Phone Would You Buy?

MDS1005

Baseband Member
Well, in the market for a new cell phone. Thinking about entering the world of Smartphones/PDA's. First, I have verizon wireless. Have a few phones in mind:

Verizon Wireless XV6900
Palm Treo 700wx
Verizon Wireless XV6800

Which mobile OS do you guys recommend? Is Windows Mobile 6 Professional better than the current Palm OS? Web browsing and email are the most important features to me right now. I hear the the iPhone (damn AT&T) is supposed to be the only phone out there right now with access to the "real" internet as opposed to some mobile version. Is this true with regards to Smartphones/PDA's as well? Does Verizon Wireless offer anything comparable? I wasnt impressed with the VW Voyagers version of the mobile web.

Now, when a phone advertises broadband capabilities with Wi-Fi, does this mean I will not be using air-time to access the internet while within range of a wireless router? Will it work more or less like a Wi-Fi enabled laptop?

"Web browsing and email are the most important features"

Get the New Iphone on July 11th ONLY $200

u sad u have verizon right? Well no worries, there are planty of user friendly apps that u can use on Iphone to unlock it and use it with verizon. Regardless of what people are saying the new iphone will be great! It has GPS lol

Please take the time to understand how cell phones work.

Verizon Wireless is a CDMA provider. AT&T is a GSM provider. Do the math.

Is Windows Mobile 6 Professional better than the current Palm OS?

I would recommend Windows Mobile over Palm OS any day.

Windows Mobile has a larger community than Palm OS. If you want web browsing like Safari Mobile, look at Opera Mobile.

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/

I use Windows Mobile 6 professional waiting for the official 6.1 rom update. WM is by far the easiest OS to completely customize. There are loads of applications that you can get to do virtually anything you want.

For that reason alone I recommend it over Palm's OS. In all honesty if your up for a renew you should switch to At&t which has a much better selection of PDA's. I have not heard to many good things about the Verizon Wireless XV6800 and the Palm Treo 700wx is rather dated.

I see J pointed out Opera Mini/Mobile to you but I prefer using Netfront 3.5V Concept its by far the fastest browser I've used plus it has WiFi support where the current Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta doesn't.

If you have a open Wifi source as long as you put your phone in flight mode and use the Wifi source to access your web browser it will not go towards your data usage.

Safari, Opera, and Netfront have all been recommended as good web browsers for Windows Mobile. To ask my original question again. Do any of these provide the (for lack of a better term) "real" internet, as does the iPhone, or are they all "mobile" internet versions?

What exactly do you mean by the term real internet? Net front does everything except Flash Lite 3 support. Meaning no you can't view Youtube from the browser.

6.1 that should be released shortly will have full Flash Lite 3 support meaning you'll be able to watch video's etc just as a normal page.

I use V-Tap right now which is essentially a Mobile Youtube to watch video's. Like I said though I'm awaiting Flash Lite 3 on WM 6.1 because the browser is supposed to do everything and do it well.

the XV6900 is the htc touch, which i have. i must say that i really like it. As for browsers, download opera mobile 9.5. best browser for windows mobile hands down...almost as good as safari on the iphone.

all windows mobile/palm smartphones/PDAs can do the "real internet" lol.

And, when a phone has wifi, then yes, the internet works as it does on a laptop. you don't get charged for being on wifi.

Back
Top Bottom