Philosophy

berry120

Fully Optimized
Just a curious point, and I'm definitely not trying to start any arguments here - but out of interest, what do people here think of philosophy? It's just personally, I find it pretty much pointless. A lot of other subjects that I'm not so keen on I can at least appreciate and see the use of them - philosophy however isn't one of them.

Talking to some of my friends it seems to be a very marmite (love it or hate it) type subject - but I do struggle to see its use! If I'm thinking very outside the box then I guess it encourages people to think differently... but I wouldn't say it's a better way of thinking per se. Just different. I sat through a couple of years of it, and all we did was argue for hours on completely pointless topics like "what are we doing here", "how do you decide what's right and wrong" and "if a tree falls and there's no-one around to hear it, does it make a sound?" If it could provide us with some definitive answers to the above I'd be all for it - but it seems all it actually does is ask questions and then teach people to spend ages trying and failing to answer them.

That's it really - is there something huge I'm missing here, am I being really harsh or does anyone feel the same about it?

A lot of the old "scientists" were philosophers. People like Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Buddha, Confucius, Gandhi, Galileo, Newton, Darwin, and Einstein all were philosophers. There contributions to math, science, technology, and just in general to the world are undisputible.

However, today I don't think it has the same clout. I don't know of any modern philosophers and it's probably because most of them have other official titles. Doctor/Scientist/Biologist/Mathematician/etc. All it does today, in my opinion, is teaches people to think. And of course in today's age, that is an important tool. You can probably go through your normal day without really 'thinking'. You could probably do it for a week and no one would notice.

Just my 2 cents.

A lot of the old "scientists" were philosophers. People like Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Buddha, Confucius, Gandhi, Galileo, Newton, Darwin, and Einstein all were philosophers. There contributions to math, science, technology, and just in general to the world are undisputible.

However, today I don't think it has the same clout. I don't know of any modern philosophers and it's probably because most of them have other official titles. Doctor/Scientist/Biologist/Mathematician/etc. All it does today, in my opinion, is teaches people to think. And of course in today's age, that is an important tool. You can probably go through your normal day without really 'thinking'. You could probably do it for a week and no one would notice.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah thats true. I know what berry is saying though, I don't see how people can think of it as a career path. I imagine its very interesting to read about but not very practical in looking for a job

Philosophy is for people who are really in love with the sound of their own voice...

They're basically ideas.

Darwin's philosophy of evolution, etc. People either chose to agree with that or not.

Just a curious point, and I'm definitely not trying to start any arguments here - but out of interest, what do people here think of philosophy? It's just personally, I find it pretty much pointless. A lot of other subjects that I'm not so keen on I can at least appreciate and see the use of them - philosophy however isn't one of them.

Talking to some of my friends it seems to be a very marmite (love it or hate it) type subject - but I do struggle to see its use! If I'm thinking very outside the box then I guess it encourages people to think differently... but I wouldn't say it's a better way of thinking per se. Just different. I sat through a couple of years of it, and all we did was argue for hours on completely pointless topics like "what are we doing here", "how do you decide what's right and wrong" and "if a tree falls and there's no-one around to hear it, does it make a sound?" If it could provide us with some definitive answers to the above I'd be all for it - but it seems all it actually does is ask questions and then teach people to spend ages trying and failing to answer them.

That's it really - is there something huge I'm missing here, am I being really harsh or does anyone feel the same about it?
it's funny though because what you've just put there is your philosophy on the subject of philosophy...

Personally, I think that there is a time and a place for it.

philosophisers (if that's even a word) I have a lot of respect for, people who can look at the world and see what's wrong with it, and point out a path to light, or point out better ways of doing something, or can develop theories on the human mind and behaviour or the way in that the world works and come to conclusions that are of benefit to the world...

Philosophy regurgitators on the other hand I have no respect for. these are the people that take texts like suns art of war and tell you that it relates to business, but only in the loosest sense.
generally people who take some other good philosophy geniuses ideas and bastardise them to suit their own vague purpose... or the people who take philosophy catch phrases...
they can all bugger off.

Philosophy is deep thinking, leading any subject to a point...finding a real logic explanation. They take our simple thoughts and they elaborate it a lot. I like to think like them too, with my buddy. He's into that. It makes me think more, bring my experience up, and gets my points clearer. Problem resides; Philosophers (That's the one you were looking for, root.) have multiple thoughts...and they can all vary. So, they will either clear you up of your confusion, or confuse you more.

It all boils down to this:
You can't deny what you believe in...it's your thoughts, your beliefs. You just need to be open minded, and study all their thoughts. But your point shall remain yours. Some will sneer at it, but it's like that. you can't please everyone.

it's funny though because what you've just put there is your philosophy on the subject of philosophy...
I wouldn't say so. I'd say I put my thoughts on the subject of philosophy. I could put thoughts across on any subject and they might be worded similar to the above - would that make it philosophy?

I guess I've got quite a tight definition on philosophy - I wouldn't say it was basically ideas at all.
They're basically ideas.
Darwin's philosophy of evolution, etc.
I'd call that Darwin's THEORY of evolution - why put philosophy in there? I've never heard it referred to like that.

If you're talking about thinking clearly and laterally, being open minded and applying that to life, I'm all for it. But I'd call that being open minded and sensible, not philosophy. It's a skill, yes, but a life skill IMO - not something to actually be taught as a subject.

They take our simple thoughts and they elaborate it a lot.
This brings me back to my original point - why?!?! The brief time I spent doing it I can honestly say I learnt nothing apart from perhaps how to write pages on questions that can be answered in a sentence or so. People make some thoughts and points simple because they are simple - end of. What on earth is the point in complicating them all?

This brings me back to my original point - why?!?! The brief time I spent doing it I can honestly say I learnt nothing apart from perhaps how to write pages on questions that can be answered in a sentence or so. People make some thoughts and points simple because they are simple - end of. What on earth is the point in complicating them all?

Philosophers really want to get to a very descriptive point. They want to find an answer based on everyone's thoughts, but sometimes, when you're confused about something in life, and you reach for their words, some will tell you their thoughts, and some will tell completely different thoughts.

But in the end, it all boils down to this: Getting a clear answer while having all our questions mixed. Sometimes, it comes out as multiple answers...like why the sky's blue? Why does the earth spin on it's own? What about the degree slant it has?

All these things, philosophers will try to answer...and scientists. They can be good mates, and sometimes, they can be their worst enemy.

Back
Top Bottom