pc gold

I think it would cost more money to buy the tools and chemicals needed to remove the tiny amounts of gold on the traces and contacts than you would ever get from selling the gold. Plus all the time you would have to put into it. You'd be better off recycling the copper wire and maybe the steel from the cases...

Some old processors had a nice bit of gold on the pins but it's not easily harvested and might just be worthwhile if you could get them for free. But i wouldn't chuck in the day job or buy up a foundry just yet

Not worth it. When I worked at a repair shop a co-worker thought it would be cool to take out all the gold and then take it to a jewler to make into a wedding band (he broke his fingers and his old one didn't fit anymore). He eventually got enough to do it, but the jewler told him it wasn't quality enough or pure enough to make into anything. I'd guess that would mean that it wouldn't be worth it to them to buy it either.

Not worth it. When I worked at a repair shop a co-worker thought it would be cool to take out all the gold and then take it to a jewler to make into a wedding band (he broke his fingers and his old one didn't fit anymore). He eventually got enough to do it, but the jewler told him it wasn't quality enough or pure enough to make into anything. I'd guess that would mean that it wouldn't be worth it to them to buy it either.

Hah, couldnt he just have his current wedding ring re-moulded?

Yeah, but he thought it would be cool to have one made of PC Gold since that is what he worked on. I think that is what he ended up doing.

Back
Top Bottom