Overseas Transaction

Computer Head

Fully Optimized
I have a client overseas that is shipping me laptops (in US) and I received an email today involving a Western Union transaction. I read from the email:

I am so glad to inform you that the payment will be there soon. You will receive a package from DHL soon. And the DHL tracking number is ...... . I will want you to deposit the check payment into your trust account and disburse funds for exactly the remaining excess funds to be sent out to the shipper's information below via any Western Union outlet near you so he can open a file for the laptops and get them to you in a timely manner.

Receiver's Information Here

I await the mtcn number as written on the western union receipt to pick up the money immediately you sent it to the information above.

I hope this is clear to you. I will want you to forward the remaining funds to the shipper immediately so as to get the laptops for you.

Get back to me as soon as the western union has been sent out. Thanks.

Maybe I am being a tad jumpy but I smell fishy here. Anybody deal with Western Union before? Why would he make this kind of arrangement over a shipment of 10 laptops for $30 labor apiece? Can't he just pay the shipping company? Any insight? :confused:

Thanks.

That's what I am afraid of. I'm supposed to receive a check via DHL, and I am thinking to just shred it and call the deal off. We never agreed to using Western Union, and I know of a lot of scams using Western Union. I am thinking either send me a check for $300 and pay for shipping on his own (sounds logical to me) or call the deal off.

He replied to my email basically saying why western union.....

Sorry I had troubles getting money out to the shipper by mail. I will want you to take 300 from the check payment and just take the rest of the money to any western union and send it to the shippers information i provided in the previous email. Everything will be fine as soon as you send the funds to the shipper. So he can open a file for the laptops and ensure delivery within a few days. I hope this is clear to you. Also I hope to establish a concrete business relationship with you. Get back to me as per previous email. Thanks.

The directions are more clear now. I don't see how I could get scammed if it's his money in the first place. I will deposit $300 into my checking and take the rest in cash to Western Union. That way my checking and credit card information isn't on file. What do you all think?

I agree. I am going to write him back and tell him that the deal's off. Thanks for your input.

Good idea.

This sounds like a typical scam. He has a site "selling" laptops. He accepts Western Union payments using a separate address such as your's. You than accept the payment, keeping $300 yourself as a fee, and then send the rest to the "shipper" (him) using another address. He keeps the money and nobody gets what they paid for.

Update...today I received a check for $2,300. I am only supposed to keep $300 and the rest goes to a "shipping company" in the UK. Sorry, but $2,000 is a lot of money for shipping 10 laptops to the United States, especially from a "shipping company" with no business name, just a person name. I promptly shredded the check. I guess people think I am stupid.

it's a well known scam, you deposit the cheque, withdraw the money, send him 2K, the cheque is cancelled and you're out 2k

This is as old as the hills

Rule #1 of the internet:

"If it looks too good to be true it probably is"

GTFO now

Back
Top Bottom